Raina's Reviews > Blowing My Cover

Blowing My Cover by Lindsay Moran

Jan 15, 2011

I love this disarming, straightforward memoir of what it's like to be young, female, and working for the CIA. At times the author seems sort of frivolous and self-indulgent, but that's precisely what makes it so different than all the other intelligence memoirs out there, and fantastically readable. It's a great read and a lot of fun. I appreciated the matter-of-fact, almost cynical tone of this memoir. I think Moran captures the way it feels to walk the tightrope between the altruistic "helping-my-nation" sense of purpose and the cog-in-the-machine sense of purposelessness that goes with working for the government.

I was expecting some kind of Valerie Plame memoir about a CIA cover gone bad, but I was wonderfully surprised. This is more of a "CIA approved" version of Lindsay Moran’s daily journal about what it’s REALLY like to work for the Central Intelligence Agency than some tell all book. I was hooked from page one.

After jumping through all their many application hoops, which include a variety of tests ranging from a federal background check to polygraph and psych tests - Lindsay ends up being offered not only a job with the CIA – but only after she has already accepted a Fulbright in Bulgaria! Never one to do things the easy way, Lindsay asks to defer her start date with the CIA for a year so she may do research abroad, and amazingly the CIA agrees – with the caveat that she not mention to anyone what she’ll be doing when she returns to the US, and that she retake all the entrance tests upon her return.

How does a woman in her mid 20′s who is naturally outgoing and social succeed in a career that requires her to lie to everyone around her, be secretive about what she does, where she lives and even she knows? And even more important, how will she make it through all the training required to get the job she thinks she wants?

It’s a secret. But if you read the book you’ll find out!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blowing My Cover.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
Finished Reading
Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
July 30, 2007 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
July 30, 2007 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
November 1, 2010 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
January 15, 2011 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
January 15, 2011 – Shelved