Laura's Reviews > Dreamfall

Dreamfall by Amy Plum

31923026

it was ok
bookshelves: sci-fi, young-adult, fantasy, read-in-2017, e-arc

And what, exactly, will they be doing? Well, in a few short days, they’ll be laying us out in a lab, fitting our heads with electrodes, and running electrical currents through our brains until our insomnia is fried into extinction. They’ll be shocking us into normalcy.
Yes, I’m scared. But if this is what I have to do to be able to sleep again, I’m ready to sign my life away.

I had to push myself to keep reading. This one almost ended up on the dreaded "DNF" list that I try to avoid if possible. I am happy I decided to keep reading if only for the twist at the end that becomes semi-predictable at a point, though I admit the dream sequences started to get skimmed because it was just so wtf and even bordered on repetitive as they'd fight to survive/escape. It felt like the same questions asked over and over as the characters would reiterate what we already knew. And as we get in a new dream, it starts all over.

What was refreshing was Jaime's POV (one of only three). Jaime is a premed student observing the experiment. There is also Cata and Fergus, both subjects in the experimental procedure to cure sleep disorders. Jaime's perspective gives us the opportunity to see what is going on in the lab, while the seven subjects are all comatose. While Cata and Fergus allow us to see two different perspectives within the dreamworld. The only problem with these two is their voices don't feel distinct from one another. We don't know a lot about the characters to start - only that the seven subjects have sleep disorders and fall between the ages 13-19. Through their experiences in the dreamworld and Jaime's in the lab where Jaime has access to each subject's file, we slowly learn about the characters.

There is a diverse cast. And Jaime's gender is not mentioned at all. I applaud the author on this decision. I actually hope it never gets brought up because gender shouldn't hold that importance. It is who you are as a person, not what appendage you have between your legs.

Here is the thing...I am a huge horror buff. So maybe I'm desensitized to certain horror scenes. But I didn't find myself scared one bit in this book and that's the main thing I was hoping for. It probably doesn't help that I've had some terrifying nightmares that these just don't measure up to. Younger readers may find scenes in the dream sequences to be frightening, but I wouldn't recommend going into this hoping for some scares. It might not happen for you.

While this book offers a few very wonderful things, it wasn't exactly for me up until that twist at the end making me interested in the sequel. Jaime's chapters were the most interesting for me. This wasn't quite as Nightmare on Elm Street as I was expecting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamfall.

October 7, 2015 – Shelved
April 30, 2017 – Started Reading
May 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Celine I dunno why but I never expected this book to be scary going into it, haha.