Dan Schwent's Reviews > Up in Honey's Room

Up in Honey's Room by Elmore Leonard

it was ok
bookshelves: 2015

Carl Webster comes to Detroit looking for some escaped German POWs. Will Honey, the ex-wife of a friend of the POWs, be his salvation or his downfall?

Yeah, I made the teaser way more exciting than the book. I hesitate to call any Elmore Leonard book bad but this one was definitely on the shitty side of good.

For my money, Elmore Leonard does his best work when pitting guys with various degrees of sleaze against each other in either Miami or Detroit and peppering it with slick dialogue. While this one has a Detroit setting, it's set in the 1940's which kind of removes a lot of the cool factor. Also, German POWs who barely speak English do not have the slickest dialogue in crime fiction.

I felt like I missed something regarding Carl Webster's past relationships with the POWs and why he was so determined to go after them. Turns out I had since that was previously detailed in Comfort to the Enemy and Other Carl Webster Stories.

While I thought Carl Webster was a cool guy, I also feel like he was Raylan Givens with a lick of paint. Actually, since Carl Webster has about as much written about him as Raylan Givens, maybe the writers of Justified drew some material for Raylan from Carl. Either way, I felt like this could have easily been a Raylan Givens story with minimal modifications.

My biggest gripe with this was that nothing happened for most of the book. I think the book suffered because the time period was a departure from Leonard's usual and the characters didn't lend themselves to his usual magic. Two stars. I refrained from giving it one star because the book didn't actually suck but it's definitely a bottom shelf Leonard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up in Honey's Room.

October 7, 2015 – Shelved
October 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2015 – Started Reading
October 14, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
October 14, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Jesse A I bought this book 8 years ago and it still sits in my garage unread. This review does nothing to move it closer to the top of the list. Great review.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent Thanks. I got this on sale for $1.99 and I wouldn't mind having my two bucks back.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne The shitty side of good? LMAO!

message 4: by Dan (last edited Oct 14, 2015 06:11AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent Anne wrote: "The shitty side of good? LMAO!"

The Shitty Side of Good should be the title of my memoirs.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Well, I know a good photographer, if you want to add pictures when you write it. ;)

Kemper I remember like The Hot Kid with Carl Webster a lot more than this one.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent Kemper wrote: "I remember like The Hot Kid with Carl Webster a lot more than this one."

Kemper Dan wrote: "Me too, although that was in the hazy time before Goodreads so I might be imagining the whole thing."

It's hard to remember reading before Goodreads.

message 9: by Anthony (last edited Oct 15, 2015 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anthony Vacca This was my second or third Leonard after The Hot Kid and Road Dogs, if my memory isn't already failing me. And also a pre-GoodReads read! I remember being a little confused because I hadn't read Comforting the Enemy either. But I do remember enjoying this one more than you. I remember that I liked (view spoiler) I also remember liking the cross-dressing psychopath.

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent I'm hoping Mr. Paradise is better than this one. It's the other Leonard I got for $1.99 the other day.

James Thane I liked this one better than you did, but I agree that it's not one of his better books. Still, even a bad book by E.L. is better than books by a lot of other people...

message 12: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill I just finished reading it today and I agree with your review. In my case, it was the first of his books I've read and I'm gathering that it was a bad choice. It wasn't so awful that I'd never read another of his books, but I'm not going to rush out and buy them all.

message 13: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan Schwent Bill wrote: "I just finished reading it today and I agree with your review. In my case, it was the first of his books I've read and I'm gathering that it was a bad choice. It wasn't so awful that I'd never read..."

I think Swag and 52 Pickup would be good Elmore Leonards to start with.