Maf (Bookworm Wanders)'s Reviews > I Do

I Do by A.J. Pine

Oct 06, 2015

bookshelves: favorites

For more reviews check out my blog Maf's Crazy Book Life

First reaction: There aren't enough words for me to describe how much I freaking loved this book. It was so perfect, I cried and laughed and cried some more (but happy tears) and I'm just really in love with this book and AJ's wonderful characters.

Is there anything better than happy endings? I used to think no, but A.J. has proved that there is, what happens after the happy ending makes for an amazing, entertaining, emotional story that I still can't get out of my head.

This is the last book in a wonderful series, where we get to see 7 wonderful characters travel to Greece to attend one of the most terrifying but amazing events in adulthood, a wedding.

This is the perfect book to show what happens after the happily ever after, when life is still happening to the characters, every single one of these characters learns something in this book, they all have an adventure that I felt solidified the fact that they aren't New Adults anymore, they are adults-adults, and that being and adult-adult is nothing like what we imagine it's going to be.

"The way I see it, is that we're all fucking clueless. There's no rule book or manual for any of this. Best we can do is make up for the times we mess up by getting the big things right."

One of my favourite things about A.J's books is that they always feel like a my feelings got in a roller coaster and she starts twisting my emotions from the very first page until the last word, in I Do I got to revisit 3 of my favourite couples and reading about what they have been up to since they got their happy ending made me insanely happy. We get to see how they are starting to build their lives as actual adults and I have always been fascinated by that transition, that moment when you don't really have school to fall back on anymore and this book showed all the fears of that transition along with all the amazing emotions that come along with it.

"But the one thing I got right was not letting you get away. Thank you for not giving up on me."

As any millennial, I am terrified of adulthood, but books like this make me not feel so terrified, it's amazing reading about how a happily ever after is something couples have to constantly work on, this book felt very real in that sense, because all of these wonderful couples are facing real life challenges, they are growing up and because of that their relationships are inevitably going to change, but the fact that they want to keep working on them, the fact that they want to love each other through it all, I think that's what makes a real love story fascinating, it's not the fact that we all just assume they characters get their happy ending and that's that, it's the fact that you know that not matter what life (or the author) throws at them, they will stay together because they have developed into characters who if they were people in real life, would know that love takes hard work.

"I know our lives are crazy right now, but I also know we'll get through it. Because we're us."

I'm going to miss these characters immensely, but I know for a fact that wherever it is fictional characters go to keep on living their happily ever after, Maggie, Griffin, Noah, Jordan, Duncan, Elaina, Miles and Alex are happily settled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Do.

October 6, 2015 – Shelved
October 6, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 7, 2015 –
2.0% "HOW AM I ALREADY EMOTIONAL?!"
October 8, 2015 – Started Reading
10.0% "WHAT THE FUCK?!"
October 8, 2015 –
26.0% "They are all so cute?! WHY ARE Y'ALL SO CUTE?!"
October 8, 2015 –
30.0% "Why am I crying?!"
October 8, 2015 –
30.0% "Why am I crying?!"
October 8, 2015 –
47.0% "Oh my gosh, guys. So many tears. So many tears"
October 8, 2015 –
52.0% "THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN. THIS is NOT happening. Nononononononono. NO!"
October 8, 2015 –
96.0% "Emmylou started playing just as I was reading this and...wow. My heart."
October 8, 2015 –
98.0% "THESE TWO PRECIOUS BABIES ARE ACTUAL LIFE GOALS"
October 8, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites