Lincoln Dall's Reviews > The First Christmas: What the Gospels Really Teach about Jesus's Birth

The First Christmas by Marcus J. Borg

M 50x66
Jan 15, 2011

Read in January, 2011

This book is part of the historical Jesus movement, which is receiving quite a backlash right now in many academic Christian circles and seminaries. As a priest, in my humble opinion, there is a lot to be gained from these books if read in a balanced view of Christianity and biblical scholarship. If the historical Jesus movement is all that one reads, it is certainly a skewed and one-sided view of the scholarship that is out there. My homiletics professor from seminary recommended these books by Borg and Crossen quite a bit, including The Last Week, a similar treatment of the Easter story. I certainly gained some insights from this book that I might use in homilies. I think it adds a lot to the discussion. I read this book on a trip to Rome with a youth choir from Jackson, Mississippi that we went on the day after Christmas, so it was certainly timely for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Christmas.