Martina Röll's Reviews > Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility

Finite and Infinite Games by James P. Carse

Jan 15, 2011

bookshelves: philosophy, life, sexuality, games, society, travel, ecology, communication, design, technology
Recommended to Martina by: Dennis

The first three sections were amazing and intense - the last sections interesting but less gripping. Maybe because their topics didn't interest me as much or maybe because the main point (if the book has a "point" - it is more about perspective than a point) had become clear to me.
This is not a book that needs to be read in its entirety. It is sufficient to dive into it and and be penetrated by its tone to understand the meaning.
I read this book only once so far, but while doing so, I gave it away to five friends (I actually bought six copies of the book over the five months that I was reading it!) - I have never done this with any other book. Very much recommended. It will go well with a copy of the Tao Te Ching and The Timeless Way of Building I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finite and Infinite Games.

Quotes Martina Liked

“A finite game is played for the purpose of winning, an infinite game for the purpose of continuing the play.”
James P. Carse, Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility

January 15, 2011 – Shelved
June 26, 2011 – Shelved as: communication
June 26, 2011 – Shelved as: design
June 26, 2011 – Shelved as: technology
June 26, 2011 – Finished Reading

Martina Röll Started it on the plane, read two chapters, then they stole it from me. Must be a good book. ;-)

Martina Röll Buying three more copies to give away today. Haven't done this with any other book so far.