Maria Haskins's Reviews > Touch of Darkness

Touch of Darkness by J. Michael Radcliffe

Touch of Darkness is an absorbing fantasy read by J. Michael Radcliffe, set in his 'Beyond The Veil' universe. It's a tale of love, lust, evil, vengeance, and some very, very dark magic and I enjoyed every page of it. The tale of Rami, his spirit-stone, a mysterious scroll, and how his life entwines with that of the young woman Amirah twists and turns through the hot desert landscape, and along the way there are curses and dragons, sea serpents and spells, and a ship with some rather astonishing powers.

One thing that appeals to me about this story, is that it doesn't shy away from the more sinister aspects of human nature and love. There is hope and light (and laughs!) too, but I like a fantasy writer who dares to delve into the less savoury aspects of human nature. Another great thing about this story is the glimpse of Radcliffe's Beyond The Veil universe: it definitely made me want to read more about it. I've always been fascinated by ancient Egypt, and Radcliffe mixes the pantheon and mythology of ancient Egypt with some freshly imagined fantasy and magic-elements, making for a thoroughly captivating world. Highly recommended for any and all fans of fantasy!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Darkness.

October 5, 2015 – Started Reading