Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Sound of Gravel: A Memoir

The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner

bookshelves: read2016, cults-and-communes, location-mexico, location-usa-texas, biography-memoir
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Heidi The Reader

I saw a review of this (from Heidi the Hippie Librarian) around the same time I read and reviewed I Fired God: My Life Inside---and Escape from---the Secret World of the Independent Fundamental Baptist Cult and they seemed related, so I requested it from the library right away. Sometimes whimsy and impulse invert my tbr list and I'm not sorry.

This book will be a great read for anyone who got sucked into Big Love or Sister Wives (guilty.) This is the true story of Ruth(ie)'s childhood in Colonia Le Baron, a fundamentalist Mormon polygamist community outside Chihuahua. The official name is Church of the Firstborn of the Fulness (sic) of Times, and is similar to but not affiliated with FDLS. Her family was central in establishing the church, and most of the kids in walking distance from her home are half-siblings or cousins from her father's various wives, or his brothers' wives. Her father was killed by her uncle when she was very young, so most of her childhood is spent occasionally around her stepfather, who also believes in practicing polygamy.

Are you sucked in yet? There is a lot of interest here in people living in very poor conditions, practicing religion in an extreme way, yet finding creative ways to get money from the US government. Definite warnings for people who prefer not to read cases of abuse. Very readable, but the writing itself isn't all that moving. Surely to survive this childhood is moving on its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Gravel.

October 4, 2015 – Shelved
November 9, 2016 – Shelved as: location-mexico
November 9, 2016 – Shelved as: location-usa-texas
November 9, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 19, 2017 – Shelved as: biography-memoir

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Heidi The Reader Hooray! Glad you enjoyed it, Jenny. :)