A_Ryan's Reviews > Remember When

Remember When by T. Torrest

6 "First Love is Forever" stars!!!!

I ABSOLUTELY ADORED this sweet, nostalgic, heart-warming introduction to Layla and Trip's love story. In fact, I loved it so much that I am currently an incoherent heap of melted mess trying to write a "mind ramble" about Torrest's exquisite tale of young love.

The story begins with the present-day, adult Layla taking a trip down memory lane,back to 1991 when she first met and fell in love with Trip Wilmington.

And suddenly you're transported back to a time of scrunchies and boomboxes and video stores. And to an age when you could analyse the way a boy looked at you for hours, when holding hands was electrifying, and when whole evenings could be spent on the magic of just "making out."

This is only the first part in the trilogy and focuses primarily on the young-adult phase of Trip and Layla's love story. And to be honest, it's currently 3a.m., I've just finished it and seriously can't wait to start on part 2!!

Okay, so here is some stuff that is totally awesome about this book:

1. The 80's references are 'simply irresistable' (see what I did there? Robert Palmer anyone? No? Okay, I'll stop.) Each chapter is named after a film from the era, but the whole narrative is littered with enough 80's nostalgia to make you rethink the use of scrunchies. (The only thing missing was a reference to The Cure...but that would have just been too much. I probably would have lost it altogether and even incoherent mind rambles would not be possible).

2. Trip is to awesome what velcro is to sneakers. He is every bit deserving of Layla's complete love and devotion. He is the personification of THAT guy... the one you had an endless crush on in high school. The perfect, dreamy, Brad Pitt of cool.

3. Layla. Beautiful. In-denial Layla. Insecure. Confident. Observant and blind. She was perfect. And in my opinion, soooo much better than any of the heroines in ANY of the John Hughes films, (which, while awesome films in and of themselves, always seemed to miss the mark with the alter-egos of Ringwald and Sheedy.)

4. Cooper. I loved Cooper. Unconditional. Unrequited. Unforgetable Cooper.

5. The very real friendship between Lisa and Layla. High school friendships were NEVER perfect. Girls are complex and I loved that Torrest wrote about the rough times as well as the good. Lisa wasn't always easy to like, but then again, that's what made her more "real".

6. The note. Oh my god, the note!!!

7. The very subtle Shakespeare references and parallels: The meet-cute. The balcony scene. The tent. You'll figure it out.

8. The teen angst and drama. Love it!! ""Oh, the drama! Is there anything so powerful as the love of two teenagers being ripped apart?" (Another nod to Shakespeare. Well done, Ms Torrest).

9. The 80's speak:

"You snooze, you lose."

"Are you there God? Its me, Layla."

"Up your nose with a rubber hose. Up your ass with a piece of glass!"

(just some of my faves!)

10. The slow, sweet torture of falling in love as a teenager. You just have to let yourself savour every moment. Let it wrap itself around you and let's just not rush it. Trip and Layla's chemistry is evident on every page, with every laugh and tackle and with all the things left unsaid.

Beautiful. Funny. Poignant. An absolute must-read for fans of second chance love stories!

Love, Love, LOVED IT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remember When.

Quotes A_Ryan Liked

T. Torrest
“Are you there, God? It's me, Layla. I know I just jerked off some guy who is not even my boyfriend in the bathroom of this crappy, brown house. But if you could find a way to kill me quickly and painlessly within the next ten seconds, I promise to never touch another penis again. Well, I'll be dead, so, I guess I promise not to whore it up in heaven. Which, of course is where you'll be sending me, right? I mean I'd hate to think you'd deny me an eternity behind your pearly gates just because of one impetuous handjob. Thank you. Sincerely, Layla Warren. Amen.”
T. Torrest, Remember When

October 3, 2015 – Shelved
October 11, 2015 – Started Reading
October 11, 2015 –
28.0% "“up your nose with a rubber hose.” “Ha! Up your ass with a piece of glass. You’d love it.” Aww... memories!"
October 11, 2015 –
36.0% "Lisa and Live Aid. Friend or foe?"
October 14, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Christy Loved this one, too! Great review! :)

A_Ryan Thanks Christy. Im reading #2 now. Can't wait to revisit the characters! Making dinner can wait ;)

Christy A wrote: "Thanks Christy. Im reading #2 now. Can't wait to revisit the characters! Making dinner can wait ;)"

Yes! It's one of those series you can't stop reading :)

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Awesome review A! I think I have this one but haven't read it yet. I need to bump it up on my list. Glad you loved:))

A_Ryan Thanks Michelle! I thought it was AWESOME! Definitely hope you enjoy it!

Marcee One of my faves!

A_Ryan me too, Marcee! :-)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review!

A_Ryan Thanks Maddie. I think you'd love 5his obe!

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog FABULOUS review Sweetie!! :)
This is one of my FAVORITES!!
xxoox

A_Ryan Thanks Patty. Mine too!