Jennifer Wardrip's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Jan 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: jens-personal-read

Honestly, the story was amazing. Although I can't say that I enjoyed the plot line (this isn't a warm & cozy story), it was outstanding in the way that things that grab your attention and won't let you go are outstanding. The problem? The writing.

This author seems to think that she has to write as if her readers are uneducated, idiotic morons who understand nothing. The language she chose to use throughout the entire story made me think that she was one of those students in college who used lots of big words in her essays over and over again, hoping that her "intelligence" would fool the professor into thinking she knew what she was talking about.

I don't mean to be so harsh, but this would have been a 5-Star read if she had just written in the language of which people speak. WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN is a haunting, heartbreaking, insanely real story - but you'll have to force yourself through the pseudo-intellectual speak to enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.

message 1: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza This is totally off topic but where is your display from? Is that Angelina Jolie?

Jennifer Wardrip No, I don't think it's Angelina Jolie. I just found it on the Web and totally fell in love with it!! :)

message 3: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza It's magnetic. A bit scary. Perfect for October. Hehe.