Margot's Reviews > On a Pale Horse

On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony

Jan 14, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, humorous, series, books-to-read-in-2018
Read from January 14 to 31, 2011

Excellent read. I picked it up only to skim the first chapter, but by the time I had finished I was hooked and decided I might as well read the rest.

Anthony sets the stage with a magical future where science and magic co-exist. Zane, the nothing-special protagonist, suddenly finds himself the new Incarnation of Death and must fulfill his role by extricating the souls of the dying who are "in balance," where their destiny for Heaven or Hell cannot immediately be determined.

Anthony uses the trials of the novice Death to explore humanity's feelings about death, euthenasia, tragedy, and sin. It is deep, though-provoking, and fun all in one neat little bundle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On a Pale Horse.

01/14 page 37
11.0% "This was recommended to me by a fellow writer who suggested I read the first chapter for how smoothly Anthony introduces and navigates through the sometimes cheesy and cliche issue of prophecy. But the book's so short, I decided to just go ahead and read the whole thing. I'll probably get through it in three days of bussing to work."
01/10 marked as: read