Corinne's Reviews > Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Jan 14, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: ebooks, swapped, fantasy, road-trip-o-quest, romance-a-o-love
Recommended for: People who liked "girl in the arena"

I was hugely disappointed after reading this novel, because it got a very high overall rating and I thought I would surely like it *g*. However, I couldn't feel any real sympathy neither for the main character, Saya, nor for the other characters too. I think this is due to the fact that for me it felt like although Saba struggles and fights a lot on her quest to find her lost brother, the author didn't really convince me that her main character really developed emotionally/physically along the plot. I felt like although Saba was in some critical situations she already had all the power in herself from the beginning and consequently didn't need to work so much to develop her abilities further. Also I don't understand how she could be such a good fighter based on her fury and how she could win against women warriors without having any real mentioning about learning to fight in her childhood. The same applies to her riding skills. How was she able to handle a horse, without learning to ride in her childhood? As far as I understood, her life at Silverlake was a constant battle against famine and all her time was used for fighting to survive the drought. In this situation you don't think that much about fighting or riding since keeping a horse would also have needed a lot of water. Furthermore, the plot is too straightforward and without any real surprises. Moreover, I safely predicted the characters who died at the end. The romance was also very stereotypical and the showdown like from a western. More originality please!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.

January 14, 2011 – Shelved
February 25, 2012 –
page 245
February 25, 2012 –
page 245
52.8% "The storyline goes down too smooth/straightforward in my opinion (sigh)."
February 26, 2012 –