Dimitris Hall's Reviews > Logicomix

Logicomix by Apostolos K. Doxiadis

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, read-in-greek
Recommended for: people who enjoy comics and complex subjects turned into engaging narratives

Logicomix was good. But it wasn't exceptional.

The drama of logic and mathematics, in my opinion, is portrayed much better in Doxiadis's other novel, Uncle Petros. I liked how the decision to make it a graphic novel worked for this story, but to be honest I got lost on my way, trying to understand Bertrand's thoughts and his interaction with other mathematicians and/or logicians of variable mental soundness, including himself. By the end, it all seemed so trivial, as if no real answer could come out of it all, as if these guys were trapped on a moebius strip trying to find their way to the other side. Is my losing my way of the story indicative of how complex these matters really are, that there is 'no escape'? Can't say, I'm afraid...

High points: Wittgenstein, the lecture-in-an-American-university narrative device, the art style.
Low points: I was not terribly interested in the creators appearing as characters in Logicomix. It seemed arbitrary and somehow unseemingly pretentious. I can see what they were trying to do, but I cannot decide whether it was poorly implemented or if it is just impossible to incorporate such a subplot without having it interfere with the main story.

I used to own this book but I lent my copy to my ex. I suppose I'll never see it again: an unfortunate casualty of war... I hope she enjoys it at least, I recall she never finished it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logicomix.

December 1, 2008 – Started Reading