Mizuki's Reviews > Champion

Champion by Marie Lu

did not like it

Book, you deserve to be hit over the head, nothing more, nothing less.

(Link: http://vampirekiki.deviantart.com/art...)

Note: I read the Chinese translation of this book, won't bother to pick up the English text.

I would have given this book 2 or even 3 stars, if the warfare and the politic weren't handled in such a clumsy way *and* the ending hadn't turned out as ridiculous as this:

(1) The Ending:

(view spoiler)

(iii) Did Marie Lu write one single word to honor those nameless men and women who died defending their country in the final battle? Did she ever write one word about their loved ones who were left behind? No. Their death is glossed over by a single 'many people will die' remark, just like a forgettable footnote. Everything has to be about Day, he is the hero, no one else can steal his spotlight, other people's brave deeds and sacrifices are NOTHING comparing with Day and his glory.

I. Want. To. Throw. Up.

(2) The main characters:

He is a Legend.

Really? Seriously? When Day's own little brother (of all people) is calling him out on being selfish, I don't think Day really is worthy of being looked upon by his countrymen, NOT AT ALL.

Day, you can also get down your high horse and stop bitching about how the Republic doesn't care about the lives of the poor people, because obviously you don't care about the lives of the poor people neither (view spoiler)

People, honestly you guys really believe a whinny, selfish boy like this is worthy of being a fucking legend which inspires the entire country? And I truly doubt whether Day would hand his brother over if (view spoiler)

And please don't tell me how Day is being selfish because he is only human; when so many things are at stake and so many people are looking up to you, that left little rooms for humanly flaws and selfishness to be tolerated.

She is a Prodigy.

Okay, June actually is a lot more agreeable than before, she uses her brain, she gets things done, she doesn't whine or complain; she is such a darling when we place her right next to Day. What more can I ask for from a YA heroine?

I'd admit it, in this book June is an okay-ish character, really. But I am damn sure she is viewed as a prodigy *only because everyone around her are hopeless idiots*.

(3) The romance:

I don't give a damn that (view spoiler) their relationship is painful to look at anyway. Day is a selfish, self-pitying asshole who should be avoided by every girl out there. I mean, the guy has the nerve to sleep with June then right after that he decides to dump her because he can't deal with the fact she had a part in his family being murdered? What a jerk! Why doesn't he say that to June: "I can't forget you cased my family's death but I still want to fuck you anyway" and see how she would react?

(4) The writing:

The writing is okay-ish and I can sense efforts on world building and character build-up. However, Ms. Lu never manages to make me care about her characters, what is going on around them and the emotions her characters have gone through always feels really 'Tell, Not Show'. I feel like I'm merely reading footnotes whenever I read to the parts where I'm supposed to be shocked, saddened or outraged. I feel nothing.

(5) The believability of the story...or the lack of it:

The author still can't give me enough evidence to believe Day is worthy of being fanboying/fangirling over by *the entire country* (he is loved by everyone in such a Gary Stu fashion). As to June, she spends most of the book having meetings with politicians and having her romance with Day being the gossip material of the citizens. *sighs* You know what? Only guys like Day and Anden get to have any real influence and power over the country and the citizens, and a girl like June, who is supposed to be in an important position, only gets to attempt meetings she hates and sits pretty.

Also, not to mention Anden is the one who keeps the politicians at check, because you know...you can't really expect a woman to be powerful and scary enough to keep people in line, right?

Also, not to mention the only female character who has been in the position of a leader is the villain who is responsible for the death of both June and Day's families. *sighs*

By the way, I don't find it to be realistic for almost all of the adults in the book to all be useless/greedy/bad so teenagers must handle the warfare and save the day. It also isn't realistic for people to keep talking about how Day is the true power that keeps the Republic going.

Here's Ferdy's review for this book, and her thoughts pretty much mirror my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Champion.

October 3, 2015 – Started Reading
October 3, 2015 – Shelved
October 3, 2015 –
page 1
0.27% "Alright, I broke my own words, I craved in. I borrowed this book just for the shake of finishing the series."
October 8, 2015 –
page 1
0.27% "I still can't get myself interested enough to start reading this book. *sighs*"
October 8, 2015 –
page 20
5.42% "now I remember, the only female character whom I found interesting got killed by the end of second book, leaving us to deal with the rest of the flat, uninteresting bunch of characters."
page 40
10.84% "god, Day is winning about June is rich and he is not again!"
page 51
13.82% "I. am not surprised that Day refused to help when citizens' lives are in danger, some hero he truly is."
page 59
15.99% "you expect people to go into uprising just because your the Republic wants to take your precious brother? how arrogant!"
page 85
page 94
25.47% "shit, June, the guy has a country to lead, of course he needs to be cruel from time to time, what else does you expect?!"
page 118
31.98% "so June is the only one who thinks about shelving the poors, when the city is under attack, not the great Day."
page 128
34.69% "so Africa is the bad invader who comes into America and fire the white American asses. Hahahaha!"
page 174
page 180
48.78% "even Day's little brother is calling him out on being selfish. good boy!"
October 14, 2015 –
page 182
October 14, 2015 –
page 182
49.32% "I am fed up by how everyone views the 15 years old Day as the most important person in the country. It's even worse than The Hunger Games, at least people didn't bitch about how the country would collapse without Katniss."
page 210
56.91% "Day agrees to help only when someone close to him is threatened by the virus!"
page 212
57.45% "Day tells June she is the most dangerous, awesome person he has ever met?\n \n *rolls eyes*"
page 250
67.75% "he had just come up with the most awful plan to fight back."
page 251
68.02% "as usual, adults are useless so teenagers must save the day. *rolls eyes*"
page 300
81.3% "How arrogant can Day and the author of this book get? Why would both of them believe the citizens would rise their lives and join the uprising *just because Day tells them to*?"
page 310
84.01% "And people, get real please, you can't send citizens to the front-line to face trained soldiers *without even having to train up the citizens first*."
October 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura sounds wretched. And having viewed the spoiler think that it is just ridiculous.

Mizuki because it's just ridiculous. haha.

Cynthia B. Cawthon TOTALLY staying away from this one!

Mizuki Cynthia B. Cawthon wrote: "TOTALLY staying away from this one!"

wise move, Cynthia.

message 5: by Olga (new) - added it

Olga It's on my wish list with the previous ones but now I'm not sure I want to read it at all..

Mizuki I am sorry to hear that, Olga. but it will help if you can shut down your common sense when you read this trilogy.

NO MERCY Spot on! You had some good points about the book.

Mizuki NO MERCY wrote: "Spot on! You had some good points about the book."

Glad to know you like my review, N.

message 9: by Ramona (new) - added it

Ramona I like this review too it is very honest.
I am NOT going to read this!

Mizuki Sandstorm wrote: "I like this review too it is very honest.
I am NOT going to read this!"

But....you rated this book 5 stars. So you must have read it at one point, right?

message 11: by Ramona (new) - added it

Ramona What I never rated this book 5 stars?

Mizuki Sandstorm wrote: "What I never rated this book 5 stars?"

Please see for yourself: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Ramona (new) - added it

Ramona By the way I have a sister who goes on the same account so she may of done that she said she liked that book.

Mizuki Sandstorm wrote: "By the way I have a sister who goes on the same account so she may of done that she said she liked that book."

Hahahahahaha...your sister needs to get her own account.

message 15: by Ramona (new) - added it

Ramona I know she keeps going on without me knowing.

Mizuki Sandstorm wrote: "I know she keeps going on without me knowing."

LOL

Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) "Book, you deserve to be hit over the head, nothing more, nothing less"

Mizuki Bgurl wrote: ""Book, you deserve to be hit over the head, nothing more, nothing less"

One of the best opening lines for a review I've ever read! LOL. Great review, M."

Thanks so much for saying that.

Mizuki @Angrytuna: you are more than welcome!

message 20: by Bunny (new) - added it

Bunny Marie Lu will release the fourth book of Legend a couple months from now. I think this is a good thing because she probably realized that Champion was a bad conclusion to end the series.

message 21: by Mizuki (last edited May 11, 2019 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mizuki Bunny wrote: "this is a good thing because she probably realized that Champion was a bad conclusion to end the series."

What exactly makes you think Lu can write better in this new book? Nothing she has written after the Legend series is pointing to this possibility.

message 22: by Bunny (last edited May 11, 2019 03:31PM) (new) - added it

Bunny Mizuki wrote: "Bunny wrote: "this is a good thing because she probably realized that Champion was a bad conclusion to end the series."

One of the issues I can see the author has with these series is execution. She wants Day to be seen as some tragic and likable hero to the citizens, but ends up making him look like a sleaze ball when he doesn't even care about the good of the citizens. Books, especially dystopian, needs planning. You can't have this one grand love triangle with a bleak society blurred in between without acknowledging the society exists (*cough The Selection cough*). You need to make sure the logic behind the society makes sense. That's Lu's main flaw with the Legend series. It disappointed me greatly because everyone made the books up to be better than all of the other weaker YA dystopias (Matched, Delirium). My biggest hunch on the new book of Legend is that Lu probably didn't want to screw her fans over and instead give them a better ending.

message 23: by Mizuki (last edited May 11, 2019 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mizuki Bunny wrote: " I can see the author has with these series is execution. She wants Day to be seen as some tragic and likable hero to the citizens, but ends up making him look like a sleaze ball when he doesn't even care about the good of the citizens

The whole country fanboying/fangirling over Day is fucking ridiculous. That shows exactly how poor Lu is as a world builder for dystopian worlds. She seems to have no insight expects for adding fight scenes and describing Day's hot body. How insulting.

Absolutely.

Don't think there is much chance for the readers to get a better ending, have you read Lu's Batman YA novel, or her other series with that ridiculous so-called anti-heroine? If Lu can't even manage Batman/Bruce Wayne or an anti-heroine, then she can't even start hoping to get any dystopian world right.

The first book of Matched actually isn't so bad in my opinion, I think it's at the same level as Legend. Though the second and the third books are dumb.

message 24: by Bunny (last edited May 11, 2019 06:31PM) (new) - added it

Bunny Mizuki wrote: "Bunny wrote: " I can see the author has with these series is execution. She wants Day to be seen as some tragic and likable hero to the citizens, but ends up making him look like a sleaze ball when..."

You said it yourself in your review for Legend that you can't read/watch a bunch of action mangas/animes with hot characters and write a novel based off of them and call it a dystopia. At least use Death Note or Psycho Pass as inspiration.

No, I haven't read Marie Lu's Batman YA novel or The Young Elites (the series with the "anti-heroine". She's not even that. Just a spoiled brat). I don't plan on reading the Batman one because I don't want my perception of him to fade. Granted, I only watched The Dark Knight and it was AWESOME. The Young Elites has me a bit curious though...

Matched was just too safe for me. I wasn't really invested in the Society and the love triangle between Cassia, Ky, and Xander. At least the love interests were decent!

Mizuki Bunny wrote: "I don't plan on reading the Batman one because I don't want my perception of him to fade.."

Good decision.

Matched was just too safe for me.

I agree with what you'd said about the love interests.XD

message 26: by Bunny (new) - added it

Bunny Mizuki wrote: "Bunny wrote: "I don't plan on reading the Batman one because I don't want my perception of him to fade.."

Good decision.

Matched was just too safe for me.

I agree with what you'd said about th..."

They treat Cassia with respect and that's a plus from me!

Mizuki Bunny wrote: "They treat Cassia with respect and that's a plus from me!"

Agree.