Ðɑηηɑ's Reviews > Infidel

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Jan 14, 2011

bookshelves: female-authors, memoir, female-protagonist, read-in-hebrew, favorites, religion, africa, black-and-african-american, coming-of-age, europe, contemporary, immigrant, reviewed, politics, siblings, polyglot-characters, adult
Recommended for: Strong minded people and/or simply most of the Women

4.5/5

Quite interesting and gripping from the very first chapter.
Ayaan describes her life very truthfully and in a reliable manner, she doesn't try to beautify (is that a word? Sugar-coat, then) her past, nor her expectations about the future. She is so humble, honest and her writing pleasantly reveals a woman who knows who she is and what she wants.
She is very brave, simply because she is not afraid to doubt what she was told, from the very moment of her birth, was true and correct. She has to find out the truth for herself and by herself, and this courage, this brilliance in a time and in a place where men rule everything, even the sacred temple of god - she is an only woman to dare.
Only a few dare to do what other failed at - or, as portrayed in this case, have not done at all. Ayaan is sincerely one of a kind (originally, I meant literary, because she is the only woman I know who have escaped those who gave Islam such a bad name. Since I've read this a few other fictitious and true accounts of such women were published - The Prisoner of Tehran, A Veil of Roses and so on. And I would like to distinguish Ayaan from the others, because she is special to me.)
I wish she could knew how much I appreciate her. I wish she'd known that she is admired and that women look up to her.
I have recommended this book a couple of times before, and not once did the person fail to acknowledge how unique this lady is. Even those well acquainted with difficult Muslim-prisoner-turned-American stories.
In some forums, Infidel might be considered as a life-changing book. Well, I still question that description, but certainly I am to tell that the ideas in the book will not let go of you.
This is an important book to read, definitely to anyone interested in Islam and it's critics, coming of age in Eastern Africa in the 80s (I'm pretty sure it was the eighties) and again, those who devoured The Prisoner of Tehran and want a better story.
I believe it will forever remain on my favorites shelf. Glad to have read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infidel.

Finished Reading
April 9, 2016 – Shelved as: siblings
April 9, 2016 – Shelved as: politics
April 9, 2016 – Shelved as: adult
April 9, 2016 – Shelved as: polyglot-characters

Mina Soare I looked up "Desert Flower" and it turns out there are many books with this title. Could you please give me the name of the author?

message 2: by Ðɑηηɑ (last edited Apr 04, 2012 03:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ðɑηηɑ I will link the book to you.
There it is -
the true story of Waris Diri, a model with such a beautiful, cruel past. Who knew?

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner Danna, I'm trying hard right now not to add any more books to my already-bloated to-read shelf --but I've just added this one anyway!

Ðɑηηɑ It's a really really good book! I am not sure how you'd enjoy it, but please let me know.

message 5: by Werner (new)

Werner Whenever I read it, I'll post a review here on Goodreads. When that will be is anybody's guess, though! With all the books already on my to-read shelf, I estimate that I'll have to insist on living to be at least 100 in order to read all of them. :-)