Julie Decker's Reviews > Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Rift, Part 2

Avatar by Gene Luen Yang

In the second volume of another trilogy, THE RIFT, we see four storylines interacting: Toph is furious at her father for denying that she's his family and is disgusted that he won't acknowledge her contributions to the modern world; Katara and Sokka investigate a dangerous underground mine and find people from their own tribe facing life-threatening conditions because they feel they don't have a choice; Aang struggles to teach his Air Acolytes peaceful and traditional ways without impeding progress as he celebrates the festival of Yangchen; and a flashback with Yangchen reveals that she had to negotiate with a spirit who was aggrieved over the loss of a fellow spirit who trusted humans and paid the ultimate price.

This continues to embody what I loved about the TV series; each character has a single ember driving them in this storyline, but it's anything but simplistic, and nobody is being set up as the Person Who Must Learn the Lesson at the expense of someone else. I love how real it feels that Aang wants to connect with the past; not only because Air values tradition and their traditions are mostly extinct, but also because he personally is FROM an earlier time and has a right to miss the century-old practices that were his present so recently. I love that Sokka runs from danger when it's strategically appropriate and has no macho need to throw himself in harm's way, and I love that Katara is looking at a form of privilege she never considered when she faces her old friends from the Southern Water Tribe and realizes they can't just throw away a job because it's dangerous and dirty. And of course I love seeing Toph come into her own as an excellent bender getting recognition everywhere but still unable to get it from her own father.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avatar.

October 2, 2015 – Shelved