Angela Suzanne's Reviews > Standing on My Brother's Shoulders: Making Peace with Grief and Suicide - A True Story

Standing on My Brother's Shoulders by Tara J Lal

liked it
bookshelves: biography, mental-health, net-galley

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

It took me a while to get into this memoir because the first several chapters were background information which I didn't find all that interesting. The memoir did hold my attention enough for me to stick through the background chapters to get to the part where it deals with Tara's brother's depression and suicide. Before reading this book, I thought it was going to focus more on mental health than it actually did, but it was still interesting to see how Tara responded to her father's illness, her brother's suicide, and her own struggles. There was some swearing in the book, but it wasn't excessive. I lost one of my brothers unexpectedly last year and so when Tara talked about losing her brother, I could feel along, and at times I teared up because it reminded me of my loss. Overall, I think this could be an interesting read for those who like memoirs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Standing on My Brother's Shoulders.

October 2, 2015 – Started Reading