Kelly Roberson's Reviews > The Summer After You and Me

The Summer After You and Me by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski

3.5 Stars

I have such mixed feelings about this book because, overall, I did really enjoy reading it and finished it in a two-day span. I loved the setting, and it really reminded me of why I love a good beach read. I also loved that it made Hurricane Sandy such a huge part of this book, as that was a detrimental event in a lot of peoples lives. I also really like that Jennifer always throws the importance of volunteer work and caring about the community in her books. However, with all of this being said, there was definitely a few things I didn't love in this one. Firstly, there was SO much drama! Like something that I felt would be mediocre in the grand scheme of things caused the biggest amount of drama and fighting. And this made me dislike a lot of the characters, because of how mean and dramatic they were to each other. I guess if you think about the things 15-year-olds overreact about then it makes sense because, obviously, I was 15 at one point in my life, but man it stressed me out and frustrated me reading it. There were also some things that I felt were super problematic pertaining to the relationships in the book. But overall, I love Jennifer's writing and How My Summer Went Up In Flames was definitely one of my favorite books I read last summer. So I would highly recommend checking out her books if you're looking for some great summer reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer After You and Me.

October 2, 2015 – Shelved