Meg Smith's Reviews > Ascend

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Jan 13, 2011

Read in January, 2011

This was the final installment to the long awaited Trylle Trilogy... Frankly? I was surprised! Mostly in a good way.

I completely stumbled upon Amanda Hocking's work, and I have been addicted since day one. Might I add, that since then, I've read her entire Trylle Trilogy and My Blood Approves series in just under two weeks... I'm strange. But, I digress! Onto the book.

Ascend was everything I expected, nothing I expected, and so much more. I really enjoyed watching how Wendy had grown as a person, and become a Queen in her own right. I also enjoyed seeing how she had embraced her place in the Monarch, even if not entirely comfortably, and the way she stood up for her beliefs. The story played out, and shocked readers with the way the main characters evolved together as well as joined and departed each other.

Wendy and Tove's relationship played out as could be excited, but who Wendy ended up with shocked me to the core. There were a few moments where I struggled not to cry, especially when Oren stabbed Loki.

The ending was good, but to me felt a bit rushed. I feel like Amanda could have delved a little further into the post-battle scenes, and given us a little more insight into the thoughts, emotions, and happenings of the Trylle and Vittra Kingdoms after Wendy conquered Oren. Also, although I enjoyed the way it skipped forward 4 months, I feel like more could have been explored.

I feel like Amanda's writing evolved a fair bit in the final book. Either that, or the editor did. Whilst reading the first two I noticed small errors (mostly grammatical, some missing letters here and there). But, in the third one these were not as apparent. This made me much happier! As an avid reader, I truly enjoyed the Trylle Trilogy, but I am pedantic when it comes to editing, so that distracted me slightly. Glad this improved!

That's about all I have to say regarding this book. Well done Amanda, and I can't wait for you next novel!

Megan

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascend.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Erika I totally agree with your review! I just started reading her books as well! Love Amanda's stories and loved the last trylle trilogy book, but the end seemed rushed. It was almost like someone else wrote the last chapter. Regardless - can't wait for what she comes up with next!

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg Smith I know right? I'm so excited to see what is next! I am also hanging out for the next book in the My Blood Approves series - I'm addicted. :-)