Eric's Reviews > Empire of Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons

Empire of Imagination by Michael Witwer

it was ok

Difficult to rate. Objectively, it wasn't a very good biography. It suffered from the author's efforts to create the feel of a biopic, with "scenes" from Gygax's life imagined by the author. It also left out a lot of key facts and felt somewhat disorganized, even though it was mostly chronological. There was a lot of good information, however, and I toyed with a 3 star review. It is a solid 2.5/5 in part because I find the subject matter interesting.

The other criticism I have is that this book spends at least 2 or 3 concluding chapters reflecting on the significance of Gygax's work. While there is no doubt that Gygax was instrumental in popularizing a certain genre of fantasy, particularly in the 80s and 90s, was a critical player in developing RPGs, and became a pop icon, the book overstates to a great degree his influence. All that being said, it was a reasonably enjoyable short read, and the story of the rise and fall of TSR was fun to take in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Imagination.

September 30, 2015 – Shelved