Harry Whitewolf's Reviews > Dog!

Dog! by Mike  Robbins

28206267

bookshelves: general-fiction, make-em-laugh

As much as I’d like to mention some of the finer details concerning the plot to this short book, I don’t want to give anything away. Dog! is a story which deserves to be discovered without any preconceptions.

The premise is simple and yet brilliantly executed. The pace unfolds gently, the writing is expertly crafted and easy on the eye, the humour is wry and also laugh-out-loud funny, and the depth is perhaps somewhat dependent on the reader’s willingness to explore the philosopohical, ontological and theological discussions of sin and karma which are had. Don’t get me wrong, this book isn’t heavy going at all. It’s a quick, enjoyable read with bucket loads of poignancy and humour; and when the ending of the tale comes around, everything makes sense.

In Dog!, you will find Himalayan monks, Special Brew, sexual fantasies of Jack Russells and lines like: "If you didn't eat pussy like a gourmet..."

What more do you want? Dog! comes highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dog!.

Finished Reading
September 30, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 30, 2015 – Shelved
October 1, 2015 – Shelved as: general-fiction
October 1, 2015 – Shelved as: make-em-laugh

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Rebecca Gransden I read Timbuktu by Paul Auster early this year and really liked.

Harry Whitewolf Rebecca wrote: "I read Timbuktu by Paul Auster early this year and really liked."

I always liked the TV show Benji, Zax and the Alien Prince.

(Why does no one ever remember that one?)

Rebecca Gransden Oh my god! With the robot that looked like WALL-E if he'd been made out of a Sodastream. I think that got forgotten because The Littlest Hobo demanded all the doggy fame. Such a diva.

Harry Whitewolf Rebecca wrote: "Oh my god! With the robot that looked like WALL-E if he'd been made out of a Sodastream. I think that got forgotten because The Littlest Hobo demanded all the doggy fame. Such a diva."

I knew you wouldn't let me down! Though actually I can't remember what the robot looked like.

And then there was Spit The Dog... but I fear I might now be leading us away from Dog! and how good it is.

Rebecca Gransden I can't believe it was created by someone called Joe Camp. The world is too perfect sometimes.

description

Bob Carolgees was the scary one. Did Spit the Dog actually spit or was it just the power of suggestion? There was a strange tendency for puppet creations to have aggressive or borderline molesting tendencies. Like that film with Anthony Hopkins called Magic where all his underlying neurotic impulses are enacted through his ventriloquist's dummy. I watched an episode of Tales From the Crypt a while back on YT called The Ventriloquist's Dummy which was the funniest things I've seen in ages.

I am not distracted from Dog! at all. Seems like it's getting some serious appreciation on GR. I shall investigate :)

Harry Whitewolf Rebecca wrote: "I can't believe it was created by someone called Joe Camp. The world is too perfect sometimes..."

Ah yes! There it is! Brilliant! And Joe Camp- great. :)

I liked a lot of ventriloquist/puppet stuff as a kid - loved Nooky Bear and Scorch the Dragon. Emu scared me though.
And I saw that film 'Magic' again recently. It's really effing freaky!

Do check out Dog! I think you'll love it. I expect great things of it - as I do of your book, which is next on the list to read. :)

Rebecca Gransden Rod Hull used to visit a local pub, fortunately before my days of frequenting. He was an alright person according to reports. But then I don't think he was ever accompanied by Emu.

Looking forward to any thoughts you may have on anemogram :)

Harry Whitewolf That's a claim to fame if ever I heard one. Yep, looking forward to anemogram. :)