Abby Johnson's Reviews > Boy Toy

Boy Toy by Barry Lyga

Jan 30, 2008

This book was disturbing and super compelling. I seriously could not put it down. The story starts when Josh is 18. He's messed up. No, I mean really messed up. When he was 12, his history teacher sexually abused him. And what's worse? Her detailed confession made its way on to the internet and Josh is sure that all of his classmates and teachers know exactly what he did with her. And what's WORSE? Mrs. Sherman is getting out of jail. Early. Right now.

Because of the abuse, Josh made a mistake with one of his friends. Rachel liked him, but he didn't know how to deal with it and an innocent game of Seven Minutes in Heaven (well, somewhat innocent anyway) ended disastrously. Rachel hasn't spoken to him in 5 years. Math, baseball, and his best friend Zik (who has never, ever asked him about what happened with Mrs. Sherman) are the things that get him through the day. Then Josh accidentally runs into Rachel one night and they start talking again. Josh begins to tell her his story. The whole story. The story he never told anyone except the police.

It's a roller coaster of emotions and even though Josh's story was truly disturbing, I couldn't put it down. I had to get to the end so I could see if he survived, if he could overcome what happened to him. This book is not for everyone. Graphic sexual situations between a teacher and her student will be hard to take for some. But it's a very powerful story. I was rooting for Josh the whole way through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Toy.

Started Reading
January 30, 2008 – Shelved
January 30, 2008 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Becci (new) - added it

Becci K so I just started reading this book and you would say keep reading it?! Just by looking at all of these reviews I want to read it right know! It sounds so good!