Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Chicago commercial photographers

Of all the banned books I’ve read over the years, THIS one might be the one that I really can’t figure out a reason for banning. There have been some selections that my children aren’t quite old enough to read or fully understand, but they are still tiny humans. In a couple of years I’ll gladly let them peruse my bookshelves and read whatever all of the nutters tell them not to. It was thinking of those nutters that left me shaking my head at the choice of banning Persepolis. I mean, there’s no sex, no drugs, no foul language – it’s simply a memoir of a girl who lived through the Islamic Revolution in Iran. Generally when the whackjobs take a break from their cultlike book burnings they are all about sharing anything that points out how horrible the Middle East is. I guess at some point they just decided to go all Oprah with respect to book bans . . . .

*shrug*

I, for one, am absolutely delighted that Banned Books Week led me to discover Persepolis. What a brilliant (and so very important) little book. Marjane Satrapi was able to detail the history of the Revolution and its lasting effects on not only her family but Iran as a whole with humor . . .

a lot of humor . . .

and compassion . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

and the heartbreak of a nation combined with the reality of her own life . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

It showed that no matter what might be broadcast on the evening news that people are people and even those of us who are separated by half a world have more similarities than differences. It also tackled how important it is to talk to your children about big issues . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

and to open their mind even further by using the thing the banners continue to try (but fail) to take away . . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

My friend Matthew was the first to express his love for Persepolis when he saw it on my “Currently Reading” list and he unleashed his rebellious side and read a banned book this week too. I hope my kids are half as awesome as he is when they grow up. And to any other “kids” out there reading this – just say damn the man . . .

Chicago commercial photographers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis.

September 30, 2015 – Started Reading
September 30, 2015 – Shelved
September 30, 2015 –
page 1
0.65% " Chicago commercial photographers"
October 2, 2015 – Shelved as: liburrrrrry-book
October 2, 2015 – Shelved as: memoir
October 2, 2015 – Shelved as: non-fiction
October 2, 2015 – Shelved as: pitcherbooks
October 2, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
October 2, 2015 – Shelved as: ya-for-grown-ups
October 2, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 30, 2016 – Shelved as: i-read-banned-books

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

Anne Ok, I just put this one on hold. Decent review, Kelly ;)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Decent. I love it. That's the Anne equivalent of "BEST REVIEW EVER YOU SHOULD GET A TROPHY!!!" ; )

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Okay fine: "BEST REVIEW EVER YOU SHOULD GET A TROPHY!!!"

Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja I had to read this in one of my college classes. We talked about reasons why it might have been banned and ultimately came up with a lot of BS. Then again, the reason most books are banned is a lot of BS lol.

message 5: by Anne (last edited Oct 02, 2015 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Decent. I love it. That's the Anne equivalent of "BEST REVIEW EVER YOU SHOULD GET A TROPHY!!!" ; )"

You know me so well! But instead of a trophy, which I'm sure you have enough of b/c boys + baseball = trophy explosion, I'll will give you what you really want.

description

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Alcohol, cake, and Archer. That's a hat trick of sploosh right there.

(FYI - Here's a joke you can use for later and yet another thing that makes me weird unique: I don't eat meat with bones in it (that's what she said ba dum ching) so those ribs made me dry heave.)

Anne No! Seriously? And I'm the ALIEN?!
Although, I don't eat much meat period, so who am I to call you a weirdo.
Also, I've watched 5 episodes of TWD now because you have mercilessly bullied me into embracing pop culture.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ahhhh, you've already read those. Watch The Trailer Park Boys instead. They are delightful.

Anne Yes, but the show is so much slower different!
*adds TPB to to-watch list*
*edits BBQ Rib pic*

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Which one of you two weirdos have been in my backyard?

message 11: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Loves Books Glad you enjoyed it Kelly!!

message 12: by Matthew (last edited Oct 02, 2015 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew Phenomenal review! This is one of many books that I regret that I didn't write a review. I was fairly new to Goodreads and didn't understand the idea of writing a review. The good thing it gives me the inspiration to read it again! Thank you so much for featuring me in your review, I believe it is an honor to be recognized by you and countless other goodreaders!!

I didn't know this book was banned and thinking back I do not know why it would be banned. I believe maybe the reason why it got banned is because it features Muslim people. There are countless authors who are phenomenal and yet don't get much fame here in America ever since post-9/11. Probably some ignorant person saw the book and thought Iranian Girl = Muslim = Terrorist and never bother to read it.

I didn't realize how bad Iran was until I read the Argo book and this one. The Argo book provided plenty of details that I was shocked how bad this revolution happened and the U.S involvement. Knowing that already by the time I read this book I felt more connected and felt personal when reading it.

Carmen Yay!

message 14: by Cormac (new)

Cormac Zoso very cool review kelly :) i used to have a cool t-shirt years ago that said "Celebrate Freedom - Read a Banned Book" and then had a bunch of the most commonly banned books thru the years ... I read once that Ernest Hemingway went back thru 2 first editions of "A Farewell to Arms" and "filled in the blanks" where words and passages had been censored ... one copy is owned by the State University of New York and the other by a private collector (I read tho in wikipedia that they were originally presented to Maurice Coindreau and James Joyce) ... thanks again for the review and for reminding me it was banned book week ... i've got two days of banned book reading left :)

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ I really like this book. I actually have this one and the sequel on my bedside stack to read soon. I also recommend Embroideries by this author. It's funny and very interesting.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks Jess! It will be a miracle if my library actually has more than one graphic novel by the same person, but I'll cross my fingers ; )

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Oh, I didn't even realise why you were doing this. Next year I am all over a banned book week!! I loathe the idea of banning books.

message 19: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Oct 02, 2015 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "Oh, I didn't even realise why you were doing this. Next year I am all over a banned book week!! I loathe the idea of banning books."

I was surprised by how many I had already read on the Top 100 list. I guess I've always been a rebel ; )

And thanks : )

Kelly (and the Book Boar) And thanks to Carmen, Matthew, Sammy and Cormac for commenting too. Apparently I stopped getting notifications for awhile today. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER GOODREADS!

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster* wrote: "Oh, I didn't even realise why you were doing this. Next year I am all over a banned book week!! I loathe the idea of banning books."

I was s..."

Huh, I wonder if I'm the same. I read a lot of books that I would think rank that sort of cray-cray.

Karlyflower *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)* ..... I am all seethy now after looking at a few lists of challenged books and their "whys"..... *growling*

Jaksen I didn't read every comment, so maybe someone else already said this: but was the book banned or challenged? There's a difference, though the sentiment behind both is the same.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Seriously dude? That's the only thing you got out of this whole thing?

message 25: by Jack (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jack Vasen Context. Different groups ban totally different things. So who banned it? If it was the Iranians, or a religious group tied closely to Iran, then it would make sense.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Jack wrote: "Context. Different groups ban totally different things. So who banned it? If it was the Iranians, or a religious group tied closely to Iran, then it would make sense."

I highly doubt it was the "Iranians" who challenged this book here in 'Murican libraries, but how is Charlottesville this time of year? Go plenty of oil for your tiki torch?

For anyone else who wants to know - I rarely spend time researching the WHY behind a banned or challenged book. I just know that this country is filled with assholes who like to complain about anything that doesn't fit in their bubble. Annually I Google "banned books" and choose to read things that pop up. Sometimes it's this year's challenged stuff, sometimes I take a trip on the way back machine. Bottom line is at some point they've all been challenged - and most likely have been banned from at least a school district or two.

message 27: by Lyrian (new)

Lyrian Addlebrook Per Wikipedia: Persepolis has been challenged multiple times. In March 2013, the Chicago Public Schools controversially ordered copies of Persepolis to be removed from seventh-grade classrooms, after Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett determined that the book "contains graphic language and images that are not appropriate for general use."[5][6][7] The book has been challenged for "gambling, offensive language, political viewpoint,"[8][9] and was included on the American Library Association's list of the 10 most frequently challenged books in 2014.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thank you Lyrian!