Rachel's Reviews > The Secret Journal of Brett Colton

The Secret Journal of Brett Colton by Kay Lynn Mangum

Jan 13, 2011

liked it
Read in January, 2011

Fred bought me this for Christmas and presented it to me with an apple and a pack of reading glasses:)It was the sweetest gesture. He purchased it from Deseret Book, with guidance from a sales rep., knowing that I'm not a "Mormon Lit." fan, but thinking it was the safest way to find a clean read.

It was a clean read, and easy to spend those relaxing Christmas vacation days with my nose in it because I could relate to the mother. It was also a very stereotypical, predictable, teenage "Mormon" read. Why the "Mormon" part bothers me, I can't figure out--after all I am a Mormon--the things they talk about are happening to my children right now, but somehow it feels so cliche in a book. I know, it makes no sense.

Eden loved it, but even she was annoyed by some of the authors redundancy's. I found it a bit, roll your eyes, melodramatic, but Eden's life is melodramatic, so it was a good fit:)

Overall, a sweet, sappy, harmless little story, with a good underlying message--and a much appreciated gift. Fred was kind and brave to jump into that unknown abyss for me and I think he came up smelling like roses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Journal of Brett Colton.