P๏€cɨℓią* ~SLiTsRead's Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: favorites

Took me a whole weekend to re-read but it's worth everybit.

BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR

Why I LOVED this book
- Me kicking/screaming/laughing more than FIVE times
- Twists that I didn't see coming
- Awesome dialogue
- The brilliancy of Kaz
- Cinematic action scenes
- The story! It's like Ocean Eleven but only better.
- People with power

As with other fantasies, there were numerous characters and POVs, but it wasn't too much to handle and each was memorable.
This was YA, and the characters were teenagers, but you really wouldn't know. They were people trying to survive and had had years of hardships.

Inej, the Wraith, silent as a ghost. She was Kaz's spy, and had the skill that seemingly defy gravity.
Kaz, the leader. His brilliancy reminded me of Aloysius Pendergast. He's wicked, innovative, and tenacious. He had backup plan upon backup plan. His IQ must be in the 200s. It's no wonder why he had created such a name for himself.
He's not perfect, however, he had his own demons. This is what makes a character interesting IMO, the flaws.
Inej and Kaz had something going on, but we'd have to wait for several books to find out I think.

Nina, the Heartrender, has magic that controls the human body, the heart, blood, etc. She could have left for her homeland long ago but had stayed behind because of Matthias, whom she had betrayed.
Matthias was the witchhunter, specifically trained to kill/capture Grisha like Nina.
Their history made the heist very interesting.

Wylan, the demolitionist. He's weak and rather new. Everyone wondered why Kaz took him on, and you'd have to read to see why. He may seem unimportant but don't discard him just yet.
Jesper, known for his guns, was perhaps the weakest of them all, mentally. I wonder why Kaz would tolerate him. He's like a ticking timebomb.
I'm sensing there is something between Wylan and Jesper, but it's all too early to tell at this point.

Fantastic character development aside, the story was one of its kind. The recruitment, the sketching of the plan, the execution of it, and the execution of the backup plan and the backup backup plan were all fantastic.

The book lived up to the hype, and maybe even exceeded it.
The only tiny nuisance of this book was the foreign names and words that were a wee bit distracting because of its Russian background. It's the same setting as the Grisha Trilogy, so I had totally expected it.

Also posted @ http://slitsread.com/2015/10/12/six-o...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

August 23, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
September 29, 2015 – Started Reading
September 29, 2015 – Shelved
23.0% "Nice plan Kaz"
30.0% "Very interesting"
October 10, 2015 –
27.0% "Wow. Kez is such a mastermind."
32.0% "wow Kaz."
61.0% "shit"
October 11, 2015 –
63.0% "wow...iron bar...neat plan"
October 11, 2015 –
64.0% "How would they know they had the right guy?"
65.0% "SHIT"
October 11, 2015 –
75.0% "Wylan has his use lol"
78.0% "yikes"
82.0% "OMG NOOOOO"
89.0% "SHIT"
October 11, 2015 –
93.0% "ha I knew it won't be just them"
October 11, 2015 –
94.0% "damn. can't say i'm surprised"
October 11, 2015 –
95.0% "Kaz U r brilliant"
95.0% "OMG"
October 12, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
October 12, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 1, 2016 –
63.0% "HOW did I forget this cool part?!"
October 2, 2016 –
81.0% "omg Matthias. I don't remember this at all ..."

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review!!!! Me heart you!!!

P๏€cɨℓią* ~SLiTsRead lol thx :D