Eliza Leone's Reviews > Wet, Hot, Australian Christmas

Wet, Hot, Australian Christmas by A.V. Sanders

Recommendation: If you read Percolation, Poetry, and Passion by Sanders then this story will tick all the boxes you got there and more. Wet, Hot, Australian Christmas is fine writing filled with loveable moments, hunky characters, and a passion that pours from the pages!

Reid is an American shark researcher on a mission to revolutionize the way sharks are treated in Perth. It’s Christmas time, and being away from home starts to take a toll on his cheery holiday spirit and his boyfriend Graham has his own preoccupations on his mind. When Reid’s favorite shark goes missing, the struggle for Christmas, his passion for sharks, and his love for Graham all collide into one heartracing finale.
Wet, Hot, Australian Christmas is the second novelette from A.V. Saunders and she’s done nothing but improve! Reid and Graham are deep characters with struggles, flaws, and countless relatable qualities. From the first page their love and relationship is laid out bare for the reader to cheer for as the story progresses and while I would categorize WHAC as a romance, it’s actually not. Reid and Graham have very minor bumps in their relationship, apart for a bit of misplaced envy, their love is not tested at all. This allows the focus of the story to be more on Reid’s passion for his work and Graham’s struggle with his future. The men are portrayed as opposite sides to a coin; Reid knowing his “destiny” at a young age and Graham’s thrust upon him unwillingly when his father passes. The mirrored similarities between the two characters give a refreshing glimpse into a real life relationship and how support from a partner can make all the difference.

I don’t know much about Australia, but I certainly felt like I was oceanside and sweating as I was reading WHAC! The imagery, both for Christmas and Australian life itself, was enjoyable, realistic, and flowed seamlessly alongside the character interactions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wet, Hot, Australian Christmas.

September 29, 2015 – Shelved