Sangharsha's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

liked it
bookshelves: e-library

This is definitely a 4. A lot of 'rationality' and 'knowledge' in one book. This is something which I would want to come back and read some chapters, again and again (which I really want to do, but I doubt I will).

But, as a book, this sometimes becomes a drag. Feels a lot like an academic reading, which I guess it is. Some portions are really interesting, and you feel like "Yes!", "Yes!!", but after that, it gets boring. May be this could have been presented as a Infographic with the summarized lessons or may be this could have been shortened (Ha! there you go System 1). It has already been several months that I started with this, and I've finished several other books in between, I scanned through the latter half of it in faster pace.

Few hooks, and key concepts I recall: Basic difference between System 1 and System 2, anchoring, science of availability, loss aversion, sunk costs, framing, and of course the 'life as a story' with experiencing self and the memorizing self. Brilliant thoughts and implications to absorb and follow. I would suggest you watch his TED talk as well.

Then again, whenever I do not flow with a seemingly good book, I think, may be I'm not yet ready for this. May be.

"Nothing in life is as important as you think it is when you are thinking about it."
I thought this would be a good quote to quote in my review when I was reading this section, hence falling for a Focusing Illusion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.

September 29, 2015 – Shelved