Ashley Hoopes's Reviews > The Diary of Mattie Spenser

The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas

1851914

OK, I was kind of gagging that I had to read this. I mean, haven't I read enough pioneer tales for one life already? How many more sugar coated tales of surviving death by praying could I take?...and then I read this. For what it was, it was great. It was fresh, and realistic, and irreverent, and real, and thought-provoking, and uncomfortable, and funny, and tragic, and maddening, and sweet. I loved the characters. I loved the way that it was written. As one who journals myself, I loved every part of this book. It is a reminder of how a story can have completely different conclusions, just based on the year that it is told. That society has played such a large role in shaping the lives of women, for as long as their have been humans on this earth, and how we in the last 30 years, have been the beneficiaries of the ease and convenience, and equality that allows us so much more control in shaping our own destiny. Hooray for the women who went before us, and may we raise up powerful daughters to ensure that the luxury that we now enjoy never wanes. Wow, OK- I obviously got emotional over this. But, I would recommend it. It is not THAT deep...It's late and I just wax poetic before bed. :) It's quick and it's juicy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Mattie Spenser.

Started Reading