Kriselda Gray's Reviews > The Chosen of Anthros

The Chosen of Anthros by Travis Simmons

Sep 29, 2015

I received a copy of this book free in exchange for an honest review.

"The Chosen of Anthros" is the 4th book in Travis Simmons' "Harbingers of Light" series and picks up where "A Lament of Moonlight" leaves off - with our heroes having finally found their way through the forest and ready to head into the Harbinger settlement.

This entry in the series is full of surprises as we learn more about both the Harbingers and the plague in general and the characters specifically. Once they reach the settlement, each of the characters is given training and tasks that keep them separate much of the time, and Simmons does a nice job of spreading the story between them, giving each the chance to grow individually. There are also the beginnings of what might turn out to be a sweet love story, which is a nice touch amongst the seriousness of the rest of the events.

As a lover of Norse mythology, I like how Simmons uses various aspects of the stories to tell an original tale - not just a retelling of established lore. While he uses different names for some of the gods, it's still pretty clear who they are (especially if you're at all familiar with the myths) but it allows him to endow them with different characteristics, making them fresh.

This installment ends with a shocking cliffhanger - which sometimes can be rather off-putting. In this case, however, it just makes me that much more eager to see what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen of Anthros.

Started Reading