Dorreh's Reviews > Elantris

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Oh my God this is so contrary to my usual love of shorter novels.

Okay so I knew that I had missed something in my review pot, I just realized now that I had missed this book.

But there is a Persian saying that says "the fish is fresh whenever you catch it from the water", so let's go with that. This book is very different, but then again it is Brandon Sanderson, so anything less would be shocking.

Elantris is simply said a rather ecstatically unique book, that creates a world beyond the usual bounds of imagination that thirsts for expansion into something even grander. There are times when you think "it doesn't get any better than this", that is where you would be absolutely wrong. The book revolves around a young prince cursed to the immortal tragedy that is Elantris, and a young yet slightly misfit feminist princess (who I adored) . A world of Gods and grandeur that now plagued by an unknown curse is depleted of its magic and plunged into suffering. The sufferings include the inability to die and along with it the inability to heal. Where a simple bump to the arm can become an eternal pain that never leaves you, and when the pain is enough it sends you into an delirious limbo.

The ideas were erratic and profound, but in the best way possible. They were daring and incredible, and that is why one must simply fall into the world of Sanderson and accept that leaving it without being marked for life is simply not an option. The book hung somewhere between high fantasy and paranormal, never quite surrendering to either.

I can't really express how much I adored this book, I usually don't like overtly descriptive books, with excessive amounts of narration. I feel like these books cage the imagination, but that is simply my personal opinion. That wasn't the case here, obviously. In this book the word excessive had no place, it simply worked out in the best way possible. I hope I find time to read how the tale of Elantris will continue real soon! But 2020? What?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elantris.

September 29, 2015 – Shelved
September 29, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 20, 2016 –
page 50
8.13% "This man isn't an author, he's a wicked genius"
February 24, 2016 –
page 120
19.51% "This book is magiccccaaaalllll"
March 10, 2016 –
page 250
40.65% "Still mAgicAl"
March 15, 2016 –
page 350
56.91% "I just have a soft spot for sharp tongued witty princesses ✌"
March 16, 2016 –
page 450
73.17% "Oh my God, raoden is trying so hard! It's so cute"
March 21, 2016 –
page 550
89.43% "Is it really finishing? I can't believe it!"
Started Reading
March 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan That had to be the most profound review I've ever read of this book.

Dorreh Thank you? Ahaha

message 3: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Dorreh wrote: "Thank you? Ahaha"

Ahahaha!! I do mean it as a compliment.. :)

Jesper It`s a truly amazing book!

message 5: by Lata (new) - added it

Lata Sounds like an intriguing book. Thanks, Dorreh, for your review.

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ Great review love! xo

Dorreh Thanks Lata and Danielle!

Dorreh Thank you!

message 9: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Brilliant review Dorreh.

Dorreh Thanks Maureen!

Dorreh Totally agreed Jesper!

Jared This review convinced me to read it. Thank you, it was such a great book. I couldn't put it down except to sleep!

Dorreh I'm so glad you liked it Jared!

message 14: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Awesome review, babe! Glad you enjoyed it! And I'm happy you used a Persian saying! Haha! 😉💖

Dorreh Awwwww thanks nazanin!

message 16: by JonRaven (new) - added it

JonRaven I have been told to read this for years now by many people!! I'm very much curious about it, but my reading backlog is rather, well, backlogged. lol

message 17: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin Shurte Yikes, I am really having a difficult time getting into this book...
Anyone else find it slow for the first, I don't know, 5 chapters?!

Dorreh Happens a lot, but I did enjoy it a lot!

Dorreh Yeah kristin, the beginning is a bit slow, mostly because the worlds Brandon Sanderson builds are very unique, they take time to adjust to.

message 20: by Tiagolopes (new) - added it

Tiagolopes Hi, do you know if there is any real drawings or sketches of the cosmere universe that Brandon Sanderson created?