Kristy Mauna's Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

REREAD 9/27:
I just love everything about this book. . .

My reread was just as great as the first time I read it! It was actually a little better because this time I appreciated all of the little name drops from The Grisha Trilogy.. I actually got really excited when I saw Nikolai and Zoya's names first appear.

This book made me go through every single emotion. . . And I loved every minute of it.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 10/2015:
Six of Crows is hands down the best book release of 2015! In my opinion, of course...

"Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?"
"Knife to the throat?" asked Inej.
"Gun to the back?" said Jesper.
"Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina.
"You're all horrible," said Matthias."

There are 5 different POVs (with 2 more POVs in the beginning and end) in Six of Crows. I'm usually a little hesitant when it comes to more than 3 or 4 different POVs in a book. It just becomes too confusing for me, and I find it harder to connect with each character even while they develop throughout the story.. but the multiple POVs in Six of Crows completely worked.

Six of Crows is the perfect example of how to write multiple POVs throughout a story. Leigh Bardugo's writing is brilliant, fantastic, wonderful - I can't give her enough praise. This book was written so well from each character, our plot, the world building - everything flows together perfectly.

I fell in love with each of the characters - Kaz, Inej, Nina, Jesper, Matthias, and Wylan - which was a great plus, because usually there's at least one character I don't really care for and want to skim through their chapter.. but not this time. Each character was so different, and made the book a lot of fun to read.

"Im a businessman," he'd told her. "No more, no less."
"You're a thief, Kaz."
"Isn't that what I just said?"

I don't want to talk too much about the characters, because of spoilers. Kaz is my favorite character from the book though, yea he's kind of this horrible person but Bardugo develops each character so well by sharing glimpses from their past to move along the plot.. and it's hard not to fall in love with Kaz.
The rest of the crew is just as great though. There is bound to be one character from Six of Crows that you will instantly connect with in their strange little group.

The book starts off a little slow, there's a lot of world building and character development that was all necessary because once the plot started to really become thrilling and fun.. We needed to root for these characters, and I was because I felt like I knew them and knew they needed to come out of all of this alive.

"I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all."

Lastly, the romance - it's subtle but it is there! It just fit the plot throughout the whole story so well. Each romance (no love triangle, but more than one romance!) helped develop each character and move the plot along.. and I ship them all, each one! They are all so different, and honest in their own way.

Overall, Six of Crows is a fun and thrilling ride! It has everything we love about YA Fantasy - magic, suspense, kick ass characters, fun plot, and a little bit of romance. I definitely recommend you believe the hype about it and check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

Quotes Kristy Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“Jesper knocked his head against the hull and cast his eyes heavenward. “Fine. But if Pekka Rollins kills us all, I’m going to get Wylan’s ghost to teach my ghost how to play the flute just so that I can annoy the hell out of your ghost.”
Brekker’s lips quirked. “I’ll just hire Matthias’ ghost to kick your ghost’s ass.”
“My ghost won’t associate with your ghost,” Matthias said primly, and then wondered if the sea air was rotting his brain.”

Leigh Bardugo
“She'd laughed, and if he could have bottled the sound and gotten drunk on it every night, he would have. It terrified him.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Please, my darling Inej, treasure of my heart, won’t you do me the honor of acquiring me a new hat?”

Leigh Bardugo
“When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart.”

Leigh Bardugo
“He needed to tell her...what? That she was lovely and brave and better than anything he deserved. That he was twisted, crooked, wrong, but not so broken that he couldn't pull himself together into some semblance of a man for her. That without meaning to, he'd begun to lean on her, to look for her, to need her near. He needed to thank her for his new hat.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all.”

Leigh Bardugo
“The heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true.”

Leigh Bardugo
“The water hears and understands. The ice does not forgive.”

“No Mourners.
No Funerals.”

Leigh Bardugo
“If only you could talk to girls in equations.”
There was a long silence, and then, eyes trained on the notch they’d created in the link, Wylan said, “Just girls?”

Leigh Bardugo
I have been made to protect you. Only in death will I be kept from this oath.

Leigh Bardugo
“What do you want then?"
The old answers came easily to mind. Money. Vengeance. Jordie's voice in my head silenced forever. But a different reply roared to life inside him, loud, insistent, and unwelcome. You, Inej. You.

Leigh Bardugo
“I’m going to get my money, Kaz vowed. And I’m going to get my girl.”

September 29, 2015 – Shelved
May 18, 2016 – Shelved as: strong-friendships
September 20, 2016 – Started Reading
September 20, 2016 –
page 1
0.22% "Rereading!!!!!!!!!!! <-- I'm excited, can you tell?"
September 21, 2016 –
page 21
4.52% ""She was the Wraith - the only law that applied to her was gravity, and some days she defied that, too." - I've missed my girl, Inej."
September 22, 2016 –
page 69
14.84% ""Please, my darling Inej, treasure of my heart, won't you do me the honor of acquiring me a new hat?""
September 23, 2016 –
page 134
28.82% ""For every trick you've seen, I know a thousand more." - Kazzzzzzz."
page 176
37.85% ""I loved your laugh, Nina. And your fierce warrior's heart. I might have loved you, too.""
page 205
44.09% ""What do you want, then?"\n"To die buried under the weight of my own gold." - These Kaz and Inej scenes are 100x better reading them a second time around.."
page 277
59.57% ""He'd heard there were sharks in these waters, but he knew they wouldn't touch him. He was a monster now, too." - Kaz's backstory is still just as sad as it was reading it the first time around..."
page 335
72.04% ""A gambler, a convict, a wayward son, a lost Grisha, a Suli girl who had become a killer, a boy from the Barrel who had become something worse.""
page 407
87.53% ""He was twisted, crooked, wrong, but not so broken that he couldn't pull himself together into some semblance of a man for her." - Oh, Kaz Brekker!!"
page 435
93.55% ""I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all." - Still one of my favorite scenes! :x"
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: favorite-series