Stacia's Reviews > Warriors

Warriors by George R.R. Martin

Jan 12, 2011

bookshelves: short-stories, alt-history-fantasy, epic-fantasy, historical-fiction, sci-fi

★★★½. I bought this book because of the story by George R. R. Martin, but I like to read short stories to find authors I may not have otherwise read. My feelings about each story follows (more to remind myself than to actually review):

1. "Introduction: Stories from the Spinner Rack" by George R. R. Martin (★★★★) - Entertaining. Good start to the collection. Speaks to my reasoning for reading short story collections (broadening my horizons by reading genres other than my favorites).

2. "The King of Norway" by Cecelia Holland (★★½) - Really boring (historical fiction). I started this collection 3 times because I couldn't get through this story. Although it should be noted that any story with lots of battle scenes, and esp. on ships, is not for me, and that's this story.

3. "Forever Bound" by Joe Haldeman (★★★★) - Instantly interesting. I don't typically like sci-fi, but I enjoyed this. Will look for more of Mr. Haldeman's work.

4. "The Triumph" by Robin Hobb (★★★★) - A story about Roman soldiers (historical fiction). I loved the characters, and I wanted to know more about their story. I like Robin Hobb's writing style.

5. "Clean Slate" by Lawrence Block (★★★★) - Took an unexpected direction. Somewhat disturbing & sad, but well-worth the time spent reading it.

6. "And Ministers of Grace" by Tad Williams (★★★★) - Thought-provoking & interesting (sci-fi). Shows an interesting pov in the story of a religious fanatic.

7. "Soldierin'" by Joe R. Lansdale (★★★) - Not for me. Well-written (historical fiction), but I found it crass, and the dialect was a distraction for me.

8. "Dirae" by Peter S. Beagle (★★★½) - Loved the resolution, only liked the getting there.

9. "The Custom of the Army" by Diana Gabaldon (★★★½) - Well-written (historical romance) with interesting main character (I'm familiar with from reading Gabaldon before). Just not a story I'm inclined to read again (my criteria for 4 stars).

10. "Seven Years from Home" by Naomi Novik (★★★★) - Really liked the writing style. Interesting story (sci-fi), and I plan to read more by Novik.

11. "The Eagle and the Rabbit" by Steven Saylor (★★★) - Well-written, but not intriguing enough for me to want to read more (historical fiction).

12. "The Pit" by James Rollins (★★★) - Interesting & well-written, with an interesting choice of a warrior as main character. I've read Rollins before and enjoy him, but this story would not have made me seek him out.

13. "Out of the Dark" by David Weber (★★★★½) - I normally don't read sci-fi, much less military sci-fi, but I loved this story. The writing was effortless, and I was drawn into the world by the 1st page. Loved the twist. Will definitely look for more from David Weber.

14. "The Girls from Avenger" by Carrie Vaughn (★★★★) - Nicely written, moving story of a little discussed part of history. I enjoy historical fiction, and I'd never read (or even known) much about this story.

15. "Ancient Ways" by S.M. Stirling (★★★½) - I enjoyed this story (post-apocalyptic earth). A nicely written, interesting concept with good execution, however, I wanted more from the story.

16. "Ninieslando" by Howard Waldrop (★★★) - Well-written, short & to the point (alternate history sci-fi), but not a gripping story for me.

17. "Recidivist" by Gardner Dozois (★★★½) - Interesting look at a post-apocalyptic earth and the battle between man and machine (sci-fi). Overall sad, but kept my interest.

18. "My Name is Legion" by David Morrell (★★★½) - Nice piece of historical fiction. Interesting story about the French Foreign Legion.

19. "Defenders of the Frontier" by Robert Silverberg (★★★½) - Interesting concept & story (sci-fi) about what happens when military personnel are involved in a war in a foreign land for so long that it becomes home. I like Silverberg's writing, but this particular story had a hard time keeping my interest.

20. "The Scroll" by David Ball (★★★★) - A compelling and disturbing look at what a life of constant uncertainty, constant threat of death and a dash of prophecy can cause a prisoner to do (historical fiction). Will read more by Ball.

21. "The Mystery Knight" by George R. R. Martin (★★★★) - Further tales of Dunk & Egg. Well-written. I enjoyed it more having just read A Dance With Dragons (so the Targaryen history was fresher in my mind).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warriors.

January 12, 2011 – Shelved
November 28, 2011 –
page 85
November 30, 2011 –
page 119
16.17% "Trying to read at least 1 story/day now that I've finally gotten into the book"
December 13, 2011 –
page 319
December 19, 2011 –
page 375
December 21, 2011 –
page 404
54.89% "currently reading "Out of the Dark" by David Weber. don't normally like military sci-fi, but this novella is intriguing. can't wait to finish it!"
December 22, 2011 –
page 455
61.82% "stayed up late last night finishing "Out of the Dark" by David Weber & I really enjoyed it."
December 22, 2011 – Shelved as: alt-history-fantasy