Shelley's Reviews > The Santa Claus Man: The Rise and Fall of a Jazz Age Con Man and the Invention of Christmas in New York

The Santa Claus Man by Alex  Palmer

Sep 27, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: 2016, history, nyc

The post office destroyed all letters to Santa pretty much every year until John Duval Gluck started a group to collect and respond to all the letters with donated gifts, a group that lasted for about 15 years (1913 to 1927). Unfortunately, his heart might have been in the right place, but he really liked the attention and they money raised, which he took much of. Definitely some very interesting things here about NYC, Christmas, and how we've come to celebrate it as we do here in America. I'd had no idea the first letters actually came *from* Santa, with parents writing to praise or scold their child's behavior over the year. And the evolution of Santa (who didn't have a consistent homebase of the North Pole until nearly the 1920s) from Washington Irving to Clement Moore to the NYC parades we all know and love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Santa Claus Man.

September 27, 2015 – Shelved