A little birdie told me...'s Reviews > Surf & Surrender

Surf & Surrender by Riley Edgewood

liked it

I am absolutely not the right demographic for books like this one, so take the review for the way it's intended. That said, I really wish these books were marked with the ages of the characters or a warning for who the intended audience should be. The blurb said he left her years ago, so the natural assumption I made is that they would be older.

So that's really my main complaint. NA is not my chosen genre, and I feel a tad bit tricked into reading it. (It was a "because you read ____, you might enjoy" suggestion.) It wasn't a bad book for whom it's intended, but for me, the ages, and therefore, the immaturity, of the characters just didn't entertain as much as it should.

Quinn and Sawyer were high school sweethearts. His family disappeared without a trace, ripping Quinn apart, only for them to return four years later with no explanations as to why they were gone. Predictable reasons unfold slowly, along with other predictable happenings that all converge into one predictable ending.

However, it would have been more entertaining if I had read this 20 years ago. In fact, I think my twenty-something self would have loved it as one of the less-ridiculous NA books written these days. Some are so angst-ridden that they depress, while others are so over-the-top with their lovey-dovey romance happiness that they leave me nauseated. This one didn't do either.

I really am not sure if I liked Quinn much. I think the things I didn't like about her are understandable given the fact that they were characteristics created from the unexplained loss of her boyfriend at such a young age. Then, discovering the circumstances surrounding his disappearance might cause any barely-legal adult to not be her best.

Sawyer was too good to be true, so much so that his character was slightly unbelievable. He needed a flaw. The author hinted at a propensity for violence, but that was it; only a hint. No explanations for the past violence mentioned in passing. It may have made this ultra-responsible, "family-before-all," guy more real.

Despite my inability to choose age-appropriate reading material, it wasn't terrible.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surf & Surrender.

Started Reading