Zeek's Reviews > Dark Highland Fire

Jan 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: hist-pnr, pnr, shifters
Read in November, 2008

Dark Highland Fire is paranormal romance that throws in every magical creature you can imagine in addition to a bit of a Highland romance setting! Surprisingly the author manages to do it deftly enough to remain cohesive. (Throwing together that big a mix usually has disaster written all over it!)

The story starts off with the heroine, Rowan an Morgaine, exiled from her home dimension, working as a stripper in Reno. She's a novelty stripper- a vamp!- that pulls in a big crowd, but she's not altogether happy with her life right now. (Gee, I wonder why.)

Things change rapidly for her when an old enemy sweeps in to claim her as his own. Thankfully her brother, Bastian, isn't far behind and he manages to get her out of harm's way by sweeping her through a portal that lands them in Scotland of all places.

When they arrive they discover the gate is guarded by a group of werewolves- beasts that Bastian instantly trust because he realizes they hail from his world. He leaves Rowan in the arms of Gabriel, the alpha's son, a lone wolf who certainly doesn't want this duty. But when she awakens in his arms, and more importantly, feeds from him, he falls hard.

Because he's just met his true mate.

The rest of the book follows the big bad trying to get her back and the pack protecting Rowan, which ultimately leads Rowan and Gabe back to her home world where she finds she not only the Vamp Queen of her people, she's got a little beastie in her as well!

Like I said there is A LOT of mixing of worlds and myths in this book, and although it works, it is a drawback, I feel. I'm hoping the author will find a little more focus with later entries into this series. Apparently there is a book before this one, but I had no problem picking up what went on, making this fine as a stand alone.

Oh, The whole stripper thing was a head scratcher for me as well, but whatever, It was fun!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Highland Fire.