Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Betrayals

Betrayals by Kelley Armstrong

4561998

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

BETRAYALS reads like a paranormal thriller which is a genre that Kelley Armstrong does well. However, this caused the Mallt-y-Nos retelling to go somewhat by the wayside, not a horrible digression given the awful love triangle that developed in book 3, but it did leave this installment feeling a little bit like filler. Good filler, yet filler nonetheless.

It was Gabriel’s turn to take a run at Olivia. Kinda. Walsh makes a serious effort to give her what she needs, they have a concussed “moment”, and Ricky makes a bold move, so hopefully this means that the next volume will focus on Liv and Gabriel. Good news because he’s who I ship. Walsh is definitely an acquired taste, and a tough nut to crack however, that’s just part of his charm.

The plot was entertaining because as I mentioned earlier, cover-ups, red herrings, and twists are areas in which this author thrives. It did tie into The Hunt, and the on-going cold war between the Cŵn Annwn and the Tylwyth Teg, but the connections were tenuous at best. It was more about solving the mystery of who is killing lamiae, and identifying the rebel Huntsman and Hound.

This installment brought with it a lot of flashbacks to previous incarnations of Matilda, Gwynn, and Arawn which I enjoyed. It was interesting seeing the original characters reflected in these latest manifestations, but also observing how they differ. I believe that RITUALS will be the final CAINSVILLE title, so I’m curious to find out how Armstrong’s modern take on this Welsh myth ends.

BETRAYALS will make Gabriel Walsh cheerleaders happy. Go team Gwynn! ~4.5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayals.

September 27, 2015 – Shelved