Maria in the 16th century's Reviews > Lacuna

Lacuna by A.M. Daily

bookshelves: m-m, sci-fi, robots-androids, dystopia, a-bit-scary

First things first, whether you like well-crafted dystopian universes or m/m in unusual settings and with great, convincing character-building and heart-wrenching relationships, or ─even better─ both, you should read this book. I have been careful not to include spoilers here because I have seen lots of people with this book in their to-read list. To them I’d like to say: Read it. Now. And now on to the actual review.

This is the first book by a very talented writer whose skills I’ve known about for years and am happy to finally see displayed in the novel that I was sure would happen. In it she depicts a dystopian, dark, almost post-apocalyptic-looking world in which the air is mostly unbreathable, society is controlled by the Terah ─a mysterious organization whose mere mention chills you to the bone before you even know what it is─, humans live side by side with the Mechi, really evolved androids every bit as oppressed as most surviving people, “corporate” workers have privileges and everyone else tries to live another day amidst violence and chaos. Additionally, there are the survivors of an alien race who came to Earth and were brutally oppresse, the Ezri. Ms Daily does a wonderful job of building this world in detail while at the same time refraining from giving away everything at once, which makes it all the more exciting.

The three protagonists, Caden, Mikas and Blue, are very different from each other but their stories become increasingly entangled; they are stunningly complex and three-dimensional. Their feelings about the decaying world they live in and for each other pervade the whole story, which is in fact three stories, three points of view and three sets of feelings, fears and loyalties giving shape to the plot. Although I very much enjoyed the world-building, I think that characterization ─even of secondary characters─ is the author’s single best accomplishment, and it is impossible not to relate to them and their plight. She particularly shines in the depiction of complex human emotions, so much that I was teary-eyed at several different moments through the book. This is hard to find in books with an m/m plot or subplot, and it is one of the reasons why I think Ms Daily’s works are going to make an invaluable contribution to the genre.

Lastly, I’d like to emphasize the author’s neat prose and style, which makes the reading experience very enjoyable. This is the first book in a series, so ─as is to be expected in these cases─ there are unanswered questions, cliff-hangers and loose ends that will be surely tied up as the story progresses. I am very excited and can’t wait for the second novel.

This debut novel merits readers and appreciation, so I really hope others will soon join me in this comment section and shower the author with the 5 stars she deserves!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lacuna.

September 27, 2015 – Shelved