Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)'s Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

did not like it
bookshelves: potty, you-let-me-down, non-fiction, biography

What a dumbass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.

Started Reading
September 19, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 27, 2015 – Shelved
September 27, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: potty
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: you-let-me-down
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: biography

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia OMG I love this so much haha.

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) Lydia wrote: "OMG I love this so much haha."

Hahahahahaha I remember feeling very angry while reading this book.

message 3: by Abubakar (new)

Abubakar Mehdi Hahaha .. Shabaash .

T.D. Whittle When reading this book, I got the distinct impression he was mentally ill. Pretty sure he suffered from bipolar disorder, whether or not he was ever diagnosed. He's a textbook case of it.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson That is a great review, Anya. Love it.

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) Abubakar wrote: "Hahaha .. Shabaash ."

xD

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) T.D. wrote: "When reading this book, I got the distinct impression he was mentally ill. Pretty sure he suffered from bipolar disorder, whether or not he was ever diagnosed. He's a textbook case of it."

It hadn't occurred to me while reading the book, but now that you mention it, he did display the symptoms of a bipolar person. :o

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) Jill wrote: "That is a great review, Anya. Love it."

Thanks, Jill! c:

T.D. Whittle Anya wrote: "T.D. wrote: "When reading this book, I got the distinct impression he was mentally ill. Pretty sure he suffered from bipolar disorder, whether or not he was ever diagnosed. He's a textbook case of ..."

Yes! Nevertheless, it irritated me too. Your review is apt ;)

message 10: by 4triplezed (new)

4triplezed Is it the subject matter or the author who is the dumb ass?

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) 4triplezed wrote: "Is it the subject matter or the author who is the dumb ass?"

Chris McCandless. Krakauer wrote the book well, but the subject matter was quite boring and it baffles me how McCandless has such a cult following among the 20-something college guy types (here in India, at least).

message 12: by Quirky Omega (new)

Quirky Omega Eh, do I want to know w why it was such a disappointment?

message 13: by Ishant (new)

Ishant Sandil The cult following has to do more with the movie rather than the book itself. I haven't read the book but have seen the movie which I liked a lot. Also, the idea of leaving everything behind and travel to nowhere is fascinating.

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) Quirky Omega wrote: "Eh, do I want to know w why it was such a disappointment?"

Privileged lad leaves everything behind to hitchhike his way to the Alaskan wilderness only to die shortly after due to how underprepared he was. Moral of the story- don't fuck with nature.

Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~) Ishant wrote: "The cult following has to do more with the movie rather than the book itself. I haven't read the book but have seen the movie which I liked a lot. Also, the idea of leaving everything behind and tr..."

I haven't watched the movie but I have heard it's really good (Eddie Vedder's score tho <3). And I completely agree with you; leaving everything behind sure sounds romantic and amazing on paper but it's really not feasible in the long run especially when you are underprepared. One thing I admired about the story was that it emphasised on how we have become slaves to technology and the social mores of life but at this point, it has become a necessity.

message 16: by T.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

T.D. Whittle Anya wrote: "Quirky Omega wrote: "Eh, do I want to know w why it was such a disappointment?"

Excellent summary!

message 17: by Ishant (new)

Ishant Sandil Anya wrote: "Ishant wrote: "The cult following has to do more with the movie rather than the book itself. I haven't read the book but have seen the movie which I liked a lot. Also, the idea of leaving..."
YES! YES! I agree with everything you just said but I doubt anyone will try to do it on a longer run(they might say but very few of them will actually have the guts) but for a shorter period of time it is FEASIBLE and if you are suffering from depression(because of bad grades/breakup... you get the idea and which is common during college time) you might want to leave the society behind for sometime. And I think this is what it is. But I might be wrong.

message 18: by Jenn(ifer) (new)

Jenn(ifer) this is PERFECT