Kimberly's Reviews > The Colleen Colgan Chronicles, Book I: Flowers from Cannibals

The Colleen Colgan Chronicles, Book I by Richard Phelan

Jan 12, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, lt-giveaway

I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It's aimed for middle school readers but it is engaging and interesting enough for older readers. Phelan packs a lot into a 225 page e-book. Cloning, human-animal organ combinations, time travel, a human communicating with animals, and cannibals are all in there.

The time travel bit was interesting, I am not good with physics so I just had to accept the explanation. At the end Colleen is confused by how someone in the future was using technology that, to Colleen, hasn't been invented yet. How had teh inventor known when to activate the time travel device unless someone came from the future to warn them? She finally decides it's "chicken and egg" like, and thinking too hard about it would not help things.

The part where Colleen discovers she can talk to animals reminded me a bit of Harry Potter in that she doesn't realize that she's no longer speaking English when it happens. That being said the way her gift works is unique and works with many types of animals. The reader watches her frustrations as she struggled to master it.

Some of the content might be hard for young readers to grasp but the basic storyline is easy to understand and it has good qualities. The book has good themes of friendship, loyalty, trust, overcoming fears, and stopping bullies. In conclusion this book was a good read and I would recommend it to folks who like young adult sci-fi. I would be interested in reading future books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colleen Colgan Chronicles, Book I.

January 12, 2011 – Shelved