Rose Boehm's Reviews > In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction

In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Gabor Maté

Jan 12, 2011

As Harville Handrix, PhD, says on the back cover: 'In this brilliant and well-documented book, Gabor Maté locates the source of addicitons in the trauma of an emotionall empty childhood, making it a relational rather than a medical problem.'

I am fascinated by this brilliantly written book which offers me a window through which I can see glimpses of a world I have never known. He suggests to society and 'the system' a more affective approach to this illness. I understand my daughter so much better now who, thank God, could free herself.

I even made a few discoveries for myself. This book is for everyone who wants to understand better how human beings tick.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts.

January 12, 2011 – Started Reading
January 12, 2011 – Shelved
February 5, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Guy (new) - added it

Guy Hello Rose! I just bought this book, and I am looking forward to reading it. Maté is a local doctor here in Vancouver. I've seen him interviewed a couple of times via an addictions recovery group via FB. His ideas and presentation are very powerful! I have recently discovered that I have addictive behaviours that are associated with having been traumatized as a child, even though my addictions did not involve drugs or alcohol and so were largely hidden and allowed me to deny them.

Rose Boehm I was in touch with him via email and think I turned him on to ayahuasca which some use very successfully in the teatment of drug addiction here in Peru. I think he was convinced here in Peru - I undersrand he came here to try it fir himself - then begun to treat his patients until the Canadian government decided that it was an illegal drug. What happened since then I don't know. Find out more about ayahuasca for yourself.

message 3: by Guy (new) - added it

Guy Interesting! Amazing how small the world is! :-)

Rose Boehm Indeed.