Lane Diamond's Reviews > Galerie

Galerie by Steven  Greenberg

bookshelves: edited

Galerie I found this book to be a bit of a refreshing change from the usual fare these days. Why? Because the author took the time not only to research his subject matter to a great degree, but also to write for me, a reader who enjoys great prose.

I'm a fan of the classics, and I despise much of what passes for literature these days. I think every book should have two boxes to be checked (or unchecked): Story, Literature. Most books qualify for the first classification, but fail to qualify for the second. This one is both.

If you love literary fiction, compelling characters, interesting what-if history, and a suspenseful tale that ties to real-world horrors, you're going to love this book. If you love 3-hour reads, this will not be for you.

As I said in a response to another review:

This book is definitely written in a classical literary style, and because of that, there are moments where fans of great prose will be able to say, "Wow, I wish I'd written that." I'm happy to say that it happened to me on several occasions. There are also times where it may feel a bit heavy -- this is largely a matter of stylistic preference, and opinions will vary greatly.

This approach is indeed a double-edged sword, especially these days when short, choppy, who-gives-a-crap-about-prose Young Adult and Romance novels dominate the market. If your interest is rapidly moving stories that just zip you through to the end, and the more classical approach to storytelling does not appeal to you, then this book will not be your cup of tea.

If, on the other hand, you're like me and wish writers these days could still... well... write, then I believe you will enjoy this book.

DISCLAIMER: I am the editor of this book, and I had these discussions with the author throughout the process. We worked to find a happy middle ground at times, but always with the understanding that we could not possibly please everyone. This is true of any artform, of course, but particularly so for literary fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galerie.

Started Reading