Meagan Masters's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Michael  Grant

Jan 11, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

Wow ... I'm not even sure where to start. This was an interesting plot to follow, and it took some turns that I never expected. The basic premise is that one day, everyone age 15 and older vanishes - POOF! - and a mysterious spherical barrier appears that the kids can't cross. No one knows what happens, and everyone wants their mommy. While that sounds a little cliche, I throw it in simply to highlight the fact that some parts of this story are downright disturbing. The author captured the immediate severity of the situation very well, including the all-out chaos that ensues as kids are left with no guidance, and the amount of courage it takes to step up and be a leader, especially when time is a major factor at play. I was even more surprised when I realize that the characters I was rooting for each had definite flaws - which makes them very real, likable, and relate-able. Throw in some developing superpowers and mutations in the animal kingdom, and it really sounds like an all out recipe for a disastrous storyline. However, as soon as I finished this book (at 2:00 a.m. on a Friday night/Saturday morning!), I downloaded the rest of the series on my Kindle - immediately.

I wouldn't recommend this book to younger high school students, nor for those with a weak stomach. I really want to reiterate that SOME PARTS OF THIS BOOK ARE DISTURBING. I had a hard time getting through a few scenes, and an especially difficult time wrapping my head around a few of the characters who take bullying and being the "villain" to a whole new level - especially at such young ages. I'm still struggling with that.

I wish I could say that there's some resolution as to why all the adults disappeared in this book - but there's not. A lot of questions are left unanswered, but there's a LOT of potential for the story to develop, and I'm anxious to see how the next three books unfold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

January 11, 2011 – Shelved
April 17, 2011 – Started Reading
May 15, 2011 – Finished Reading
September 15, 2011 –
0.0% "So I'm re-reading these so I can discuss them with a group of friends reading them for the first time :) YAY!"
July 20, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites

message 1: by Sab (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sab i can't decide if i want to read this. is it really that good?