Sara's Reviews > Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore

2028284
Jan 11, 2011

bookshelves: written-by-women

The positive: I loved the concept of this book even more than Graceling's concept. Loved almost every character -- Cashore has a knack for creating deceptively simple side characters who turn out to be my favorites (Raffin in Graceling, the guards in this book). Loved the everpresent underlying discussion of women's bodies and men's fear/hatred/desire for them, and although the constant threats of sexualized violence were hard to read, I'm glad that danger was there.

The negative: I kind of...didn't like Fire (the character) very much. Maybe it's because I was comparing her to Katsa in my head, but she was less fierce and more damsel-in-distress. I did appreciate how hard Cashore worked to not just make Fire Katsa 2.0. Also the long action sequence toward the end of the book dragged for me.

The summary: A really wonderful read, but I liked Graceling better.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.

January 11, 2011 – Shelved
January 16, 2011 – Started Reading
January 16, 2011 –
page 155
January 17, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 8, 2014 – Shelved as: written-by-women

Carol You'll like this one! I think it was even better than Graceling.

Sara OMG CAROL GRACELING WAS SO GOOD SERIOUSLY.

Jacki I think you will like Fire. Less action and sometimes TOO similar to Graceling, but still very, very good.

Jacki I was the same way. Loved the book, but couldn't get past comparing it to the superior "Graceling."