Maxwell's Reviews > Satin Island

Satin Island by Tom McCarthy

liked it
bookshelves: kindle, 2015, man-booker

I understand why people don't like this book that much, but I don't completely understand people who hate it. I mean, at some points there is nothing that exceptional. But at others it delivers these moments of clarity and insight that I have never seen put down in words before. And the connected nature of the storytelling and what U. as a narrator is examining was incredibly interesting and thought-provoking. He's not a particularly interesting character, though. He has virtually no personality which really allows you to just absorb his thoughts and notes with a sort of objective understanding. I found it, for such a short book, to be quite insightful and still leave me with questions of my own to ponder. I don't think it's award worthy, but there's something to it that's re-examining fiction, narrative, the world, these really big concepts, in a fresh way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Satin Island.

September 25, 2015 – Started Reading
September 25, 2015 – Shelved
September 25, 2015 – Shelved as: man-booker
September 25, 2015 – Shelved as: kindle
September 25, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
September 25, 2015 –
page 13
6.77% "I hear such mixed things about this one. Some overwhelmingly negative, others enthusiastic and positive. So we will see where I fall in that spectrum."
September 25, 2015 –
page 59
30.73% "A few thoughts: after having just finished The People in the Trees this is especially fascinating (the anthropological aspects); I love the strong imagery, the oil spill, the city streets and rollerbladers; and I'm enjoying the interconnected nature of it all."
September 25, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Alan "But at others it delivers these moments of clarity and insight that I have never seen put down in words before. "

this is what i love about tom mccarthy's fiction. it's new.

message 2: by Amerie (new) - added it

Amerie I shall be delving into this once I finally finish Brief History...!

message 3: by Amerie (new) - added it

Amerie Which, by the way, got better for me in the last 150 pages (James' novel). I wish we saw more of this humanity earlier on, but maybe that was the point--people being able to surrender to their true selves one they left home and the people that knew them for so long.

Jenny (Reading Envy) I'm struggling to review this one, after finishing it a few days ago. I definitely did not enjoy it as much as C!