Sarah's Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

My daughter read this book. I was ready to freak out - This book is way too graphic for an 11 year old. I was composing a letter to the middle school librarian who allowed her to check this book out. I was preparing a lecture for Ashley about what is and is not appropriate for a child to read. Then Ashley came to me and started talking about drugs. She started talking about the things that kids say about drugs at school. She told me that she and her best friend had a teary talk about how sad the book was, and how easy it was for the author to fall into the drug lifestyle. They made a vow to always be honest with each other and to always have each others backs. They vowed to speak up if they see the other making bad choices. I'm glad that she read the book. It was such a great starting point for a tough talk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.

Finished Reading
January 29, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Annalyn By the way Annie's Baby is also a very good book. A 14 year old girl gets raped and pregant by her abusive boy-friend. This was a 'secret' boy-friend. Her mom said she was not ready to date boys. Oh, he's two years older.

Angelika It is an inappropriate book for a 11 year old girl. Well at least now she can decide how bad drugs can be, and now she can see what are the consequences by reading the book

message 3: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Drugs are bad!!!! Mkayyyy

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen It is nice to read that a book read in school can have such an impact on a child's perspective on drugs AND it helped to build a more open relationship between you and her. I'm sure you are glad you didn't send that letter off to the librarian :)

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim Robbins How cute...lawl a childish bond over terrible fiction

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Tim wrote: "How cute...lawl a childish bond over terrible fiction"

Dude. There is no reason at all for you to be such a douche. If you don't like the book, that's your opinion but keep the rude comments to yourself.

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Personally, you're right. This book is not appropriate for an 11-year-old. However, I do believe that no book should be banned from school, also I don't think you should be blaming the librarian. Because it's her job to let students check out books. Personally, the library and wasn't doing anything wrong with giving your daughter the story, she's the one I picked it out.