*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist's Reviews > Jefferson Blythe, Esquire

Jefferson Blythe, Esquire by Josh Lanyon

1977643
~ ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for honest review ~

This review is posted on Way Too Hot Books.

The short version of my thoughts about this book would be: mixed feelings. This type of reads are probably the hardest to review for me, because I can't say neither I liked it nor I hated it and to be honest I'm really lacking any inspiraton right now and two of my most expected reads of 2016 are waiting for me on my shelf, so I'll keep it short.

I read and enjoyed Lanyon's Dangerous Ground Series last year which was for the most part just like this one- a suspenseful, action-packed, advetourous and humorous mystery/ crime story with a little romance, which was more of a background story. The protagonist Jefferson Blythe, a 22 year old American sets off on a short journey around Europe in order to escape the drama back home and give himself some time to finally figure out what he wants from life- to continue being this person others expect him to be or to finally let go of his fears and be his true self, but the journey turnes out to be more than he bargained for. A crazy stalker girl and her gang, a dangerous mob boss on his tail, the constant life or deaths situations and an old friend who brings back all these long forgotten, supressed feelings- this is definitely not the the journey he paid for. This is the type of a journey where he could loose more than his heart.

The focus of the story was the mystery which was at the same time the part that annoyed me and made me yawn the most. No offense, the whole story behind the mystery (and the poorly done villains) seemed from time to time quite bizarre and unrealistic, not to mention the anticlimatic ending. At some point I really stopped caring or trying to solve it and that is never a good thing.

On the other hand I've enjoyed the romance and the characters for the most part, even though they did have some immature drama queen moments. The parts I've enjoyed the most are the detailed description of all the places Jefferson visited in London and Paris. It made me want to buy a ticket, but then I remembered my financial situation and delayed my travelling plans, lol. Btw. The abrupt, unfullfilling ending left me thinking: What? That's it??? The book is definitely one epilogue short.

All in all, I can't say this wasn't a well-written story like always when it comes to Lanyon's work, but as a whole, I must admit I liked her Dangerous Ground series much more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jefferson Blythe, Esquire.

September 24, 2015 – Started Reading
January 21, 2016 – Shelved as: realistic
January 21, 2016 – Shelved as: suspense
January 21, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery
January 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Exina (new)

Exina Nice, honest review, Purple! Hope your next read is more satisfying!

*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist Exina wrote: "Nice, honest review, Purple! Hope your next read is more satisfying!"

Thanks, Exina! My current is definitely more satisfying so far! :)