Samuel Sanchinel's Reviews > A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

M 50x66

did not like it

I could only get through 16 pages of this book. I decided to take notes on everything I disagreed on or comments I had on it in my crude university styled note taking. Here it is (it probably doesn't make sense because before I could fully explain on my thoughts fully I quit because of the alarming amount of things that were absurd):
Evocation

Idea of realms, spiritual and material

Seeing beauty in a flower awakens human to beauty, to their true nature. WHAT? What is this?
Flowers as the most delicate plant, fragrance as bridge to spiritual realm
“enlightenment”
rock – crystal, reptile – bird, plant – flower
seeing outer forms only unaware of inner essence. More than only physical presence of form
EXPLAIN THIS EVOLUTIONARILY
why does sweetness and beauty not exist in this world? I feel insulted
jewel for buddhism and dove in christianity, defeats the purpose of these religions
idea of zen!
Use example of humanities haiku, beauty in the frogs leap

The Purpose of this book
So he wants us to overcome humanity like the flower has overcome plant- isity?
The word “ego” weird use of the word. Freudian? Egotist? Neither seem to be the way used
Use of “collective consciousness”, a Jungian term, that doesnt comply with the actual term, present day use versus history mythological
consciousness and a deeper consciousness and its weird. I am the light???

OUR INHERETED DYSFUNCTION
why do you take religions take? Normal state at “madness.” Why not take intro consideration the religious people themselves?
Little insight into the greatness of humanity, belittles it. Says they are intellegent but doesnt say anything on it. Focuses on the negative. What about humanism?
How is “dysfunction” intensifying and accelerating? We are in increasingly more peaceful times
utter myth that the world is falling apart
Appealing to news it terrible, the news sells violence!

11 – fear, greed and desire for power as cause of wwi is simplistic. And whats so bad about that?

12 – not good by trying to be good, but goodness inside you.The history of Communism, originally inspired by noble ideals,
clearly illustrates what happens when people attempt to change external
reality – create a new earth – without any prior change in their inner reality,
their state of consciousness. They make plans without taking into account
the blueprint for dysfunction that every human being carries within: the ego.
I really hate the late of citations or proofs given to the claims! Communism not only was a "noble ideal" but had philosophical ideas behind it at the for front, like, what the function of humans was.
This is disparaging.

-- And that's only in the first 12 pages. It calls to the "authorities" of ancient eastern spirituality, religion and, I just cannot continue on with this. 1 star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Earth.

September 23, 2015 – Started Reading