Larissa's Reviews > Fables

Fables by Bill Willingham

20698
Jan 11, 2011

bookshelves: spontaneous-reads, read-by-recommendation, comics-and-graphic-novels, 2011, english-usa
Read in January, 2011

A friend of mine who is very immersed the graphic/comic world suggested that I would really enjoy this series, and brought me the Deluxe edition to get me started. I finished the first book in two nights, which is somewhat unusual for me, since even though reading a graphic novel may not actually take as much time as reading a text-based story, I generally go slower with visual storytelling. The first two arcs in the series are fantastic, though, and the artwork is not only beautiful and dynamic (including the fantastic cover art), it really leads you through the panels and the story in a natural, snappy fashion.

The general premise is this: some centuries before, a powerful force only known as "The Adversary" systematically went about invading and eradicating the mystical worlds inhabited by fable characters. First, the Emerald City was attacked, then Narnia. When those domains fell, the Adversary went about rounding up and attacking the rest of the fables, forcing the survivors--including the Big Bad Wolf (now known as Bigby Wolf), Snow White and Rose Red, the Three Little Pigs, Little Boy Blue, Prince Charming, Bluebeard, Brere Bear, Shere Khan and many others--to relocate to two new dwellings in upstate New York and Manhattan's Upper East Side. A transition government has been established in Manhattan--ostensibly run by King Cole (the 'merry old soul' guy), but really overseen by Snow White and her deputy lawman, Bigby Wolf. Those magical creatures that can't pass for human, however, are relegated to The Farm upstate, which eventually creates no small amount of chaos for all the undercover fables.

The plot lines are rich while not be terribly complicated, and since their unfolding is quite a lot of fun, I won't spoil it for anyone. Suffice to say that in the first two arcs, there is a murder investigation, an assassination attempt, a planned fable coup, kidnapping, romances gone awry, and much other adventurous drama. I'll definitely be continuing with this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables.

08/05 marked as: read

message 1: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Is this suitable for an 11 year old? The child is a reader and likes fantasy.