Issam's Reviews > Goliath

Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

Jan 11, 2011

bookshelves: steampunk, historical-fiction, illustrated-novels, young-adult, military

Excellent.

Scott Westerfeld is the king of YA, and he shows us why with the conclusion to his newest series, Leviathan.

Goliath roars with a strong momentum from the previous installment, offering some of the best creative world-building I've ever seen, mixed in with strong male and female characters, intense action, a believable romance, and an unpredictable story. And, as always, Keith Thompson's highly detailed artwork accompanying this novel is simply gorgeous, making this series not only worth buying, but also buying in print. The heavy, high-quality paper is simply no substitute for any ebook reader.

The strength of our heroine, Deryn, and her romance with Alex especially, is a standard that all YA books should strongly follow. It's there, but not overpowering, and Westerfeld prioritzes it accordingly within the chaos and constant threat of war all around them.

I started this year with Behemoth, and am ending it with Goliath in the final month. The Leviathan trilogy was a long and marvelous adventure, and one that I would love to journey all over again.

A+

EDIT: A bonus chapter with new artwork has now been exclusively posted by Scott Westerfeld at scottwesterfeld.com/blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goliath.

January 11, 2011 – Shelved
December 10, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 11, 2016 – Shelved as: military

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Couldn't agree more. It was so wonderful. ^_^