Karen's Reviews > The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- To Four-Year-Old

The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp

Jan 11, 2011

it was ok
Read on January 11, 2011

No! NO NO NO! Dr. Karp, I hear that you are trying to write an accessible book about children for overworked parents, but I am not a toddler myself! Too many exclamation points and twee little pictures! Too many fallacies (homo erectus does not equal neanderthal)! Too obvious that you are writing mainly, if not only, to mothers, and those mothers are probably pretty well-off!

I read the first half and skimmed the second before I took it back to the library. In my case, the only possibly helpful bits were about sleep training, which basically spoke to some advice I got from my son's NICU team, and the bit about making praise specific (compliment the action, not the child). Granted, there may be other gems in the text, but I could not get beyond the writing style and simplistic design.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Toddler on the Block.